Hands up all those who have heard of 'Oddbox'!

A friend mentioned them today - had not heard of them before - they sell the fresh fruit and veg that the supermarkets won’t buy because it is not perfect - curvy cucumbers or strangely shaped carrots etc., Apparently these would normally go to land fill. I don’t care about the shape of my veg - most of them are peeled and chopped anyway - as long as the flavour and quality are good. Was thinking of giving them a try - they do deliver in my area - what do you think? Good idea or not? Here is the link which gives all the information

Not heard of those particular people Tabs, but I know Tesco’s sell out of shape fruit and veg.
Maybe all the supermarkets do, for all I know.

" Named “Wonky Veg”, Tesco today announced they will sell carrots and mushrooms in specially marked “Wonky Veg” packs. This will give shoppers the opportunity to choose which vegetables they would like to purchase, rather than the supermarket rejecting them because of their irregular shape or size"

And I think I saw some in Waitrose the other day too. I believe they call theirs “Not Perfect” or something similar.

Like you said, it is not the shape that matters is it, that doesn’t alter the taste.

1 Like

Lidl do huge boxes of all sorts of veg and fruit for £1.50. Might be potatoes, bananas, plums, herbs, swede, tomatoes, sweet potatoes. great value but need to be used quickly.

The imperfect food industry has gotten really large during the pandemic here. Before the pandemic, someone was trying to get me to subscribe to Imperfect Foods and some similar services because of their affordability. During the pandemic, the quality of the services declined due to the increase in demand.

There’s good and bad to everything, I suppose. Because of the growth of the industry, this article says that small farmers are struggling and that shipping is adding to the pollution and that some foods that would have gone to food banks is now sold to customers. The industry is trying to remedy some of this but change brings different things to different people.

https://inhabitat.com/the-ugly-truth-about-the-imperfect-food-movement/