Hammer's odds 'n' ends

Had another delve into my almost forgotten collection of audio cassettes and came upon some tapes by the courageous Chris Rea who fought pancreatic cancer in 2001 and beat the beast.

One of the gems that shone out in this small but delicately formed collection is the 1985 album: Shamrock Diaries.

This track, Chris wrote as a tribute to his wife Joan, a former student of the School she attended…

Well worth a bop if you are able, if not just enjoy.

Stainsby Girls

Hi Hammer
What a track, and what an album. A big dissapointment for me was when he released A New Light through Old Windows, he rejigged what was perfect, should have been left alone.

Hi Paul,
I agree, they should leave well alone. I have that and ‘The Road To Hell’ so have to air those soon. :cool:

I have collected Jethro Tull for decades and one of their biggest mistakes are to remaster or rework original stuff.
It somehow loses its validity.

Stainsby Girls - great

Some girls used to kiss and run
Never knew what they had done.

Lets hope there are some Stainsby Girls in the next exsisitance.:slight_smile:

A change of mood to one of quiet reflection and peace.

The album by Deuter, is called: Mystery of Light and was released in 2010 on the New Earth Records label, I think it is still obtainable. There are some brilliant, peaceful tracks on it including the one I have chosen.

I have several new-age/relaxation albums from Georg Deuter and contary to most experts I find all his work different in so many ways.

Anyway, take the weight off for a few minutes and let this sad old world pass by for a bit.

Memories of an Angel

The Master

A different approach.

The creme dela creme.

Early on I posted an excerpt from the final Act of La Traviata, in keeping with my backward world I thought about something from Act 2.

Just a very brief recap on the story, the lovely but rather poorly Violetta had forsaken her somewhat dubious past and was living over the brush with our hero Alfredo.
The poor sap Alf, learned that Vi was selling off the fruits of her past so they could continue to live like a couple of swells. He immediately does a runner back to Paris to try and sort the problems on his own.

Oh dear me, as if they have not got enough aggro, Alfie’s dad Giorgio, turns up and begs Vi to give Alf the elbow to save the family name. After a bit she agrees and reluctantly writes a goodbye note to Alf and then legs it to a party.

A servant brings the ‘dear john’ to Alf and the worried Giorgio turns up like a wart and tries to persuade his son to return to the fold.

He uses the old ruse of reminding him of his family back in in Provence, ‘Di Provenza il mar, il suol chi dal cor ti cancellò?’ or “Who erased the sea, the land of Provence from your heart?”.

It is this piece I have found, superbly sung by Thomas Hampson, the brilliant American Baritone.
The hapless Alfredo is played by Rolando Villazon who features with Anna Netrebko in my previous post on this opera.

Enjoy

[URL=“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkdDBdE7RbY”] Di Provenza il mar, il suol chi dal cor ti cancellò?

Such a handsome man Thomas Hampson…I hardly recognised him.
Great voice.

George matey I adore Opera - a great passion of mine - the excerpt was magnificent.

Obsure track, interesting subject matter.

With a great deal of respect and I do not wish to offend you, this thread is for my music, there are plenty of other general ones on which to post. Better yet, why not start your own instead of hi-jacking this one.

Thank you.

Just gone through this thread Hammer…Nice…:slight_smile:
Just listening to Hans Zimmer & Lisa Gerrard - Now We Are Free …so lovely.

Thanks for looking Mags and glad you have liked it especially the Lisa Gerrard.
I have been a big fan of hers since the days of Dead Can Dance. Speaking of which, they have recently reformed and I bought their new album ‘Anastasis’

I think it was a mistake but need to play it a bit more.

A bit of a change, this is a brilliant interpretation of a rather lovely little piece of Mozart. The opera is the Magic Flute (K620)
I always find this a bit uplifting, which is nice, just a shame too many ignore buttons about. :wink:

Anyway, back to the real plot, act one scene two, our bird catcher, Papageno is having a chin wag and telling Pamina that her old lady has sent the unfortunate Prince Tamino to her aid. Pamina is glad that Tamino still fancies her and full of the joys of spring she offers a bit of hope to Papageno, who longs for a wife to love. Together they sing an ode to love.

Pamina is played by the rather lovely German soprano Dorothea Röschmann and the British baritone Simon Keenlyside, takes the part of Papageno.

Bei Mannern welche Liebe fuhlen

George matey, a lovely opera - one of the very best arias to originate from it is this:

‘A Momentary Lapse of Reason’, all too often happens to me but in this case it is the title of a 1987 album by Pink Floyd. This track is from that album and was released as a single, a bit naughty at the time by the record label as it was only the week after the album was put on sale.

However, the tune itself became a regular part of Floyd’s live set list, this version was visually one of the best.

Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a windswept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
A fatal attraction is holding me fast
How can I escape this irresistible grasp?

Can’t keep my eyes from the circling sky
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I

Ice is forming on the tips of my wings
Unheeded warnings, I thought I thought of everything
No navigator to find my way home
Unleadened, empty and turned to stone

A soul in tension, is learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can’t keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I

Learning to fly

Enjoyed that George. Liked the video as well, thanks for posting :smiley: