Hair colour

I’m thinking of having a go at home hair colouring. I’m about 50/50 grey/dark brown. I want to keep the dark brown but highlight the grey - maybe make it golden brown or similar.

Can anybody recommend any colourants that will alter the grey but leave the dark colour as it is?

I’m a novice at this - never coloured my hair since I tried henna when I was 20!!

https://i.postimg.cc/gkbhMPwZ/c.jpg

I use Colour Effects by Superdrug. It only costs a pound and is semi permanent. I don’t have a lot of grey in my medium brown hair, - its kind of in patches - but what I discovered is that this stuff highlights the grey to look like golden brown highlights, while darkening the rest of my hair to a reddish brown (because the colour I choose is 6.4 Rich Red). I’m sure it would do the same if you wanted more of a warmer brown for yourself. It washes out in about 8 washes, so you can change if you don’t like it. :slight_smile:

I have no idea about color Carol - sorry. Please post the end results

I might be completely white by then. :slight_smile:

Just thinking about it and gathering information at the mo…

I am not an expert either but you have to be careful with grey in case it turns out ginger.

Hi

You look lovely as you are.

I was thinking about a home colour too Carol but like you I’m a bit scared to try and there are so many products available… its very confusing…I might try a semi permanent as Pixie suggested then at least if I don’t like it it will wash out…eventually.

Good luck let’s know how you get on

I quite often use Belle Colour in one of their blonde/brown shades. My hair’s grey now and for a few weeks it looks really good - a golden light brown. I find however that these colours just seem to slide off my hair after a few washes and after a month there’s nothing to see. Perhaps I could try a different make. They do give my hair a lovely shine though, which conditioner never does.

Aw thanks swimmy.:slight_smile:

I may try Pixies suggestion too.

I’m also afraid the grey will turn ginger as Muddy pointed out. What a mess that would look|!

Hmmm - dare I - dare I not…

Until 4 years ago I always coloured my hair in later years I let my hairdresser do it

I’ve been pink
I’ve been red
I’ve been multi coloured
I’ve been blonde
I’ve been tinted slate grey
Then decided I just wanted to try being me and it now a nice silver grey with natural white highlights .

Go ahead Carol it’s an adventure .

Hi

Ladies please grow old gracefully.

You remain good looking and very sexy.

Grey hair and lines are fine.

Botox and lip fillers are not.

Carol, I just had a thought…why not just dye a tiny bit of your hair to see how it looks. A finger width, maybe? I haven’t done this myself mind you, and it does sound a bit fiddly now I write it, but your hair is long enough to try, and you could always tuck it away until it washes out if you don’t like it :slight_smile:

Carol, Worse, using anything with red in it. The grey or any white could go pink. Get a colour that states …Covers grey.

Do an allergy test first too.

I’ve never dyed my hair in my life, I’m one of the “grow old gracefully” brigade! :smiley:

Lacking in lines too! :slight_smile:

I dont know about grey coverage but ive been using nice and easy hair colourant for many years and I’m always happy with the results. I decided to have a salon colour before christmas and it cost me £68! I hate it and I’m off bock to my trusty old £6 bottle of nice and easy.

I found this link for you carol , hope it helps

https://www.clairol.com/en-NZ/beauty-school/article/the-silver-lining-9-tips-for-gray-hair

https://www.clairol.com/en-NZ/beauty-school/article/the-silver-lining-9-tips-for-gray-hair