Had an extraordinary letter from the NHS

[quote] Dear ********
Now that you are diabetic you may be in danger of kidney failure and should have regular urine test. T o this end we are sending you a testing kit for which you will need a Smart phone[/quote]
There was a lot more waffle - but that was the gist of it - and it raises several concerns for me!

1. We are already doing our own C19 tests, Bowel Cancer tests, now they want us to do our own Urine tests? How long before they issue us with syringes/needles and expect us to do own bloods?? I find this a sinister delegation of their responsibilities.

2. I have never been diagnosed as being diabetic and am certainly not in receipt of treatment for it - so where is this information coming from - it was not from my GP - but it is a genuine NHS letter.

3. I am not even going to ask what I am supposed to do with the Smart phone!!
    Could think of a few things they could do with one!

Gosh Tabs, what a mess. That’s awful.
I take it you will be making a few phone calls on Monday morning?
Having said that, it may be better to reply in writing so you have proof of what they tell you.

As you say, we already do our own Covid tests, Bowel cancer tests, and pregnancy tests, and I believe Diabetics test their own glucose checks too.

Oh for the days of the old family doctor, when he knew his patients and vice versa.

1 Like

I checked it out - it is a genuine enough letter. Being as I neither own nor have access to a Smart phone does that mean I will shortly die from kidney failure due to the diabetes which I do not have?

The Home Test kit is an additional option to the existing procedure of taking in an annual urine sample when you go in for your other diabetic tests and checks.

If people don’t wish to use the Home Test kit, they can carry on taking a urine sample to the diabetic clinic as normal.

My OH thinks the new service is great - simple to use in the privacy of his own home and he no longer has to carry his sample bottle of wee when he visits the clinic.

(Obviously the letter they sent to you is worrying if they have mixed up your records with someone who has diabetes.)

1 Like

Hasn’t this them thinking you diabetic happened before ?

1 Like

It seems to be a trial using an Israeli app called Healty.io - pity it was sent to someone who does not need it!

https://www.nice.org.uk/advice/mib221/resources/healthy.io-test-for-home-testing-of-urine-albumin-to-creatinine-ratio-pdf-2285965506975685

Neither do I .You should have seen the commotion that caused when I went for my jabs.Someone had to actually write something.

1 Like

Appalling! Grrrrrr

1 Like

That sounds very weird to me, I have never had a letter like that before and i’m Diabetic, they would ask you to come in and have a blood test first to make sure yoi are Diabetic.

This is one of the reasons I flatly refuse to buy and operate a ‘smartphone’.
Without such a device, my various medical departments that treat me have to see me in person which is my intent here. Face-to-face appointments give me the opportunity to state any changes I have experienced since my last review and if any remedial action is required by the consultants heading each team, their response is either instant or very quick. Owning a smartphone would deny me this kind of instant health care access.

2 Likes