Guys, Do you ever feel you are being scrutinised all the time?

Two weeks ago I was at a park taking pictures of Cockatoos frolicking.
The camera was set on a Tripod. Over yonder was a Mother pushing a child on a swing. Every minute or so she was looking in my direction. Obviously thinking I was there to take sneaky pictures of her child. I see this attitude so prevalent in society now. Every guy seems to be looked on as a potential pervert/peadophile. Such a sad world we are living in now.

No, I cannot see that attitude in public here in Germany.
Still you might be right as I sometimes wonder that suddenly a CCTV video is found, when something has happened.

That gives the impression that everything is filmed on CCTV in the UK.

I remember arriving at a park and whilst sitting in my car, a CCTV camera on a pole nearby, revolved and was aimed at me and remained like that the whole time I was there. I eventually left because I did not like the invasion of privacy.

:see_no_evil: Oh no, very unpleasant. Imagine what it would be like if cameras became better/smaller and less visible and used more AI. We could have complete profiles of people and know where they were at any time.
At least in more public spaces/buildings.

1 Like

Yes but not by people, inside the dog watches all the time, outside in the back the 2 Clyde’s never miss a thing. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

That is happening in China. They are employing a “Social Credit System”
Every aspect of citizens lives are being monitored.
There are an estimated 373 cameras per 1000 citizens. With an estimated 540 million surveillance cameras throughout China

There is a film about just that, it’s called Eyeborgs. I really enjoyed it, but the fact it could be happening was scary.

1 Like

Very scary outlook :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Thanks to my religious upbringing I always feel I’m being watched.Even if I don’t believe in it.

2 Likes

Amazing is it not? Same here, when I was raised my parents would say that the “dear God” is looking on us and is watching us. That sits deep in us I guess.

1 Like

Who would want to scritinise me and, even what if they did, so what?

It is all about feelings I guess. That is the headline of this thread.
The feeling of an infringement of your own sovreignty can be strong.

1 Like

It’s coming to a town and city near me in the UK Bretrick. Headline in our local paper the other week was…Doncaster has more camera’s per capita than any other city in the UK. Just because we are told we live in a free country doesn’t mean that we do.

1 Like

Just wait until AI is put in charge of CCTV :grin: :icon_wink:

1 Like

Hence the thread about Geraint Davies Bretrick, there is a massive witch hunt going on and it’s aimed at old blokes and mainly in the working environment nowadays, where in the past it would have been looked upon as just banter.

1 Like

Nothing to hide, nothing to fear. With all the attacks, muggings, stabbings of young people going on in most towns and cities in the UK at the moment the more cameras around the better. County line crimes are on the increase here.

3 Likes

Not to be “that girl” but was it because YOU FELT that way?

Is there a reason why you didn’t just walk up to her, non-threatening, and explain that you’re looking at Cockatoos and if she wanted to see your photography (in a non-creepy way)?

Miscommunication can be dangerous especially when you’re attempting to use body language. Not to say you needed to do so to ease her thoughts but I think it would have went a long way

I think that says more about you (The male of the species )…feeling slightly threatened
I’m sure the women was just interested in your filming .

Voyeur would they really be using a tripod and camera … or more likely secretly filming with a phone.

1 Like

I think the way I do because I see how some women are apprehensive when I walk behind them. Many times, to allay their unrest I will stop for a while or cross the road.
I am vigilant, sometimes hypervigilant when out in public because I am a single guy and unfortunately some predatory guys force males to take stock.

[quote=“LivingLarge007, post:17, topic:97455”]
Not to be “that girl” but was it because YOU FELT that way?

Maybe approaching her might have made her more nervous. I took some photos then faced the camera pointing to the ground.
Maybe my thinking is all wrong.

2 Likes

Wasn’t always like this LL, a grandad could have a loving relationship with his grandchild (I don’t mean sexual) and indeed, most young children would look upon the older bloke as a source of protection and help. Too much in the news these days, and although these bad events are few and far between, they have left a stigma and suspicion of any old bloke near the young, or women for that matter.
My friend and neighbour is an artist, I asked him to do a painting representing our neighbourhood. There are many people who walk their dogs past our house and some of these, although we don’t know them very well, are interesting people and walk by on a regular basis. He went to the park to where they all congregate, to take a few pictures covertly so he could catch them in a normal setting (not posed)…And he later explained how embarrassed and guilty he felt. So it’s not just you Bretrick, it’s the way society has been changed by propaganda and fear spawned by the media.

1 Like