Guilty, Until Proven Innocent, Becoming The Forum Norm?

I have no idea what this thread is about without an example or two … :man_shrugging:

It seems that accusations are being made without a specific charge or substantiable proof … :017:

1 Like

aubh0j2

1 Like

Yes, :frowning_face_with_open_mouth: but it’s nothing new. It makes me very careful of what I post these days.

2 Likes

Not wrong Art, but while I was writing the title, my keyboard, quite deliberately, put in “The Forum” instead of “a Forum”!

I apologise to all who didn’t spot my error!

1 Like

So, the question still needs examples … :069:

1 Like

What else do you want from the man? Blood?

1 Like

Don’t see why not. :rofl: :rofl:

Not too much to ask, as long as its not an armful.

1 Like

No that would be excessive.

Serious allegations have been made including "Families can be damaged, wrongfully, for this “revelation” and “libel or slander might lead to court cases”.

I’m wondering what the terms of reference are for the allegations. If not this forum, then what other type (obviously, they can’t be named) and what sort of “revelations” lead to what sort of postings which lead to court cases.

Speaking in general terms, I think “trial by media / social media” (including discussion forums) has become more common over the years - it seems to be “the norm” for some people, though definitely not everyone.

It is a natural human trait to sum up a situation and reach a conclusion based on the information available - it’s the way our brains work - but our brains can also adjust that summary as more information is presented, so it’s best to keep an open mind, guard against confirmation bias when reading news reports and remember that the situation may look very different as more evidence is presented.

2 Likes

I think it is to do with papers trading on whipping up fury among their readers to increase circulation

And the readers seem to like it, I suppose it’s a moral high ground thing

But it feels like every day there’s something to get really angry about and judge the accused on. We’re whipped up into a permanent frenzy, it’s quite exhausting

And it’s sometimes really hard not to be swept along the way they want you to go and swim against the flow

It’s always been like that, of course. But I do think the Brexit thing changed us a bit. We seem to be polarised on everything now

And we’re quick to judge and there doesn’t seem to be a scale of which misdemeanours are worst

3 Likes

4 Likes

Every morning I put the news on, out of habit, but, nowadays no longer listen to it, what a waste of unnecessary power.

1 Like

Hi

I am not a Solicitor, but my understanding is this.

This is a Public Forum, so everything, apart from the Members Only Section, is in the Public Domain.

Anything posted could be subject to legal action.

What is, or is not defamatory will be decided by the Courts.

That being the case, Omah is wrong to ask for examples from Forum Members.

5 Likes

I will give one I frequently post on about children who been murdered by cruel parents .This is a heinous crime.
These come from news items reported in the press .Slander Is only slander if iits NOT TRUE .Sadly none of these cases have been found to be untrue.

2 Likes

Hi

There have been miscarriages of justice in the past.

Fortunately Forensic Science is getting better by the day.

It is however not 100% perfect, especially with the very young.

Muddy,

Surely something is “Not True”, legally, unless you can prove that it’s true?

Hi

It is somewhat more complicated than that.

In a Jury System, such as we have in England, the Jury can find that the evidence is correct, but they can still produce a verdict of Not Guilty.

Scotland is somewhat different, they have a not proven option.

Legally?
What about morally and ethically ?
To say nothing of the the unheard voice of an abused child .

When a baby has 57 broken bones that have started to heal and it’s head bashed in it’s pretty sure it hasn’t ‘ fallen off the sofa ‘ .
Having raised three children I can honestly say that no child dies from falling off the sofa .