Growing Babies in Artificial Wombs?

Scientists say they will be able to grow babies in artificial wombs in 10 years time.
Doctors at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia are in talks with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to begin testing artificial wombs on human embryos within the next two years, according to Metro.
If they’re successful, the research could radically change the way we view pregnancy, childbirth, and perhaps even human evolution.
If those clinical trials go well, fully-functional artificial wombs could be ready within ten years, Yale University physician Carlo Bulletti told Vice last year.
“If the fetus were in an artificial womb, it would become possible to access it and control the environment without restricting a woman’s autonomy,” University of Oslo philosopher Anna Smajdor told Metro. “So in some ways there could actually be benefits for the fetus itself.”

Good idea, saves on stretch marks (not that I have any).

1 Like

Will there be a “buy one, get one free”? What will the returns policy be?

1 Like

Things are advancing too fast.

This is scary!!

1 Like

The world is already far too over populated without this way of adding more.

1 Like

I can’t help thinking about the drawbacks of presenting a woman with a baby from an artificial womb.
What about those hormonal changes during pregnancy and the emotional bonding which occurs between a pregnant woman and the foetus developing inside her during pregnancy and delivery? - it is this emotional bond which helps us to develop feelings, love and care for the baby we produce - it helps us get through the never-ending crying demands of feeding and pooping and cleaning up after our little “bundles of joy”!

I’m sure that women who cannot conceive and carry a baby to full term naturally are thankful for alternative options but for women who can conceive and give birth naturally, I can’t think of a better and more natural and “bonding” way to bring our children into the world.

1 Like

I’m sure it won’t catch on.
They should think of a way of producing female babies without a womb to combat the population explosion.
Perhaps only allow women who are a perfect specimen of a human to breed. Think how much money that would save the NHS. No more hereditary diseases or discrepancies.

1 Like

Bring back eugenics eh? That worked well in the past.

1 Like

I’m not talking racist Bruce, just perfect humans…Black,White, yellow or something in between. I don’t think the colour of your skin or your race determines whether you are a perfect specimen or not.

I don’t think you understand the word Eugenics, it has nothing to do with race - though of course it can be used that way if you wish but it was a movement to produce the perfect human one of its earliest aims was stopping the poor breeding for example.

I think it’s you who hasn’t grasped the meaning of ‘Eugenics’ Bruce…See this definition…
Quote:-
Eugenicists worldwide believed that they could perfect human beings and eliminate so-called social ills through genetics and heredity . They believed the use of methods such as involuntary sterilization, segregation and social exclusion would rid society of individuals deemed by them to be unfit.

“Segregation and social exclusion”

Wouldn’t that be considered as racism?

Oh come on! Racism has to involve another race. Eugenics may or may not involve another race, just because people in Yorkshire hate the people from Sussex doesn’t make it racist. Xenophobia and racism are not the same thing

Moonraker syndrome :grin:

1 Like

I think that one should be consigned to Paul Merton’s womb 101.

Yah just can’t stop Human Bods dabbling, fact of life, unfortunately.

we are better at faffing