Grocery bills forecast to rise by £643 a year

While profits continue to SOAR - with supermarkets profits tripling since the pandemic started!!!

Its disgusting that our politicians are still allowing businesses to profiteer in times of national/global crisis! :icon_mad:

£650/year is not actually very much. I’d say that grocery bills here in London have gone up more than that since the beginning of the year.

+/- £12/week

1 Like

I reckon they’ve gone up more as well - £650 is a very conservative estimate imo…

Terrible considering that’s on top of what they have already gone up since the pandemic, people were struggling to make ends meet before the pandemic started let alone after it…

1 Like

What I detest, is all these people on social media “discovering” ways to live off a £1 a week like it’s fun and normal. Err…no, it isn’t fun and it isn’t normal. I want to know why more people aren’t protesting about this! :rage:

4 Likes

I’ve lived quite happily on My State pension & savings since I retired almost 20 yrs ago and I’m shocked to see My grocery bills have almost doubled over the past few weeks…I don’t have a car and I haven’t been a holiday for 8 years…always careful with money…but if this continues My savings will run out before this Winter is over…so…looks like I’ll be looking for hand outs from the Gov’ if They don’t get Their feckin act together
:rage:

2 Likes

How dare you have savings? These should be handed over to the boys at the top of the pyramid ASAP, so they can trickle it back down to all of us chickens pecking in the grit for the occasional grain of seed.

2 Likes

Bastards the lot of 'em.

4 Likes

When l go to the fridge now it’s always nearly empty?
I can even open the freezer shelves now !!
:thinking::thinking::thinking:

2 Likes

It is a fact of life that as one gets older, one’s income will decrease in quantity and/or inflationary value. We know that and accept that, and make adjustments accordingly. But there comes a point where the expression “beyond the pale” might come to mind. It seems that a lot more people are reaching that point a lot sooner than might hope, and it behoves the government to do something about it for the common good, and not for the good of certain small cohorts which don’t need assistance.

2 Likes

I just look for bargains, or rein in my spending, when and where I can. I am putting away at least a third of my income each month in to the savings account. A third covers DDs and bills, and what money is left is available for day to day spend. If I feel I have plenty of cash left, I have a splurge in the supermarkets, or add to that going into savings.

The cost of dog food worries me more. I no longer buy Holly the Forthglade trays because of what they now cost. Over £2 in Pets at Home and about £1.75 elsewhere. So though I have a good supply upstairs in the spare room, I will buy her food whenever I see bargains. She is a good girl and mostly eats what I put down and is healthy and happy, which is the main thing. Doesn’t matter to me if I decide to have a simple meal of soup, or bread/toast (which mostly is because I don’t fancy a big cooked meal.)

3 Likes

We stick rigidly to a budget, get essentIals only now. Our monthly shop expenditure is £320.

1 Like

My weight is lowest it’s been in 40 years at 9 Stone 10 pounds.

2 Likes

Last year I brought cooks matches from asda (long ones for burning paperwork garden incinerator etc) 30p a box same thing now £1.10 almost fell over did not buy.

3 Likes

Aha. As a top tip, I bought a flame thrower for weeding a couple of years ago and use that to light my garden paper incinerator. Much more effective at getting it going and re-lighting it. You can walk around killing off a few weeds while you’re at it.

4 Likes

Hi

I find inflation is relative and it affects the elderly and those with disabilities far more than the average person.

This does not seem to be recognised or even cared about by the Government.

£3.80 for a loaf of white bread and a litres of semi skimmed from a local corner shop is just plain stupid, the only place many of the elderley can get food from.

2 Likes