Grey is the UK's favourite car colour for the first time

You might have blamed the winter gloom, but if the traffic ahead of you appears a bit drab, it is because the view really is greyer than it was.

Half a million of us chose to buy a grey car in 2018, making it the most popular colour for the first time, according to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT).

Just over one in five new car registrations last year were grey in the UK.

More than half of new cars registered were either black, grey or white.

I’ve never had a “drab” car … my current Ford is Race Red … :043:

1 Like

Personally I have never understood why every car isn’t white. It reflects the heat, is very visible, has the best resale value and is the cheapest colour to buy.

All my cars during the last 40 years have been white except for my HK Holden Kingswood which was white but had a blue roof.

Top car colours in Australia

White: 30%

Silver: 19.44%

Blue: 11.29%

Black: 10.43%

Grey: 8.02%

Red: 6.81%

Because you live in sunny Ozland we live in sunless Britain we need all the heat we can get !

My colour isn’t even listed (yellow)

Primary colours
Top ten car colours’ market share in 2018
Grey 20.9%
Black 20.2%
White 18.3%
Blue 16.1%
Red 10%
Silver 9.3%
Orange 1.1%
Green 0.9%
Bronze 0.4%
Beige 0.4%

Not even 0.4% … I’m a minority !!!

A marmalade car ?

You have excellent taste, Marmaduke :023:

Mine’s Midnight blue, apparently.

A Marmaduke car :lol:

Running it on 19’’ ( Michelin pilot 4s) and sure is hard /twitchy ride so possibly 18’’ would have been a wiser choice otherwise yes , 24,000 trouble free miles now and I’d buy another

Is yours the ST version, Marmaduke?
Next door neighbour has one. Goes like sh!t off a stick! :cool2:
What’s more, his is the same colour as mine but mine’s a 1.0 Ecoboost, his is a top range 1600. Just to rub it in like :cool2:
I’m still very happy with mine though :cool:

Our car is grey .
Mr M calls it Silver
Hi ho !

Yes it’s the ST ( 250 petrol) … goes well but lots of torque steer when pushing it but all it ever wants to do ‘is go’ … great fun ( I Also have a BMW Z4 with 2.5 and a Porsche Boxter … the focus despite the 4 doors would leave both for dead , however for all ford call it an eco boost engine its thirsty , very thirsty but I like it and can’t think of what to replace it with ( had a Honda Civic typeR before it and stunning car but the new one is ugly as sin so I’m keeping it until something nicer comes along )

Nice selection of motors there Marmaduke :slight_smile:

Thanks , also a mini ( bmw) Cooper S , landrover 90 defender 300TDi a Toyota Aygo and Toyota MR2 at the moment

Also, it would be difficult to find your car in a car park.

Any more? :101: You a motor dealer or something? :shock:

I hope you don’t have one of those exhausts that sounds like a filing cabinet falling down stairs. ;-):-p

Quick Floydy - there’s a parking space. :mrgreen:

The exhaust is quiet unless you really start to push it but I am in favour of tuned exhausts be it cars or bikes
However the Cooper S does have a loud scorpion race system fitted and one of my bikes is running yoshi’ full race RS3s that some would say are loud

My Fiat is white, and I am really pleased with it.

I would never buy a grey car, horrible colour, and neither would I have another black one or red one. I’d have white again though.

I think AUDI started the grey fashion when they did the RS6 in flat grey …then ford /bmw followed and now it’s the boy racer colour of choice to be different , so different in fact it’s now the most common colour ha ha