Greetings!

Anyone interested to let me know what is the most challenging book you have ever read and why?

Greetings

Thank you

Hello Minx :slight_smile: welcome…

Thank you Meg.

Hello Minx :slight_smile: a warm welcome to Over50sForum…

Welcome Minx! :slight_smile:
I am not sure what you mean when you say challenging. I have read quite a few that I never bothered to finish, but to me that means they are boring.:lol:
There was one book that I just couldn’t stop reading about 30 years ago. It was a true story of a young woman who agreed to marry a stranger & live with him on a desert island for a year. It was such an adventure with many things that made you worry for both of them.
The young woman wrote the book herself & it was
" Castaway" by Lucy Irvine. She wrote a few others about her different adventures ( which were good) and I understand that she now lives a reclusive life in Bulgaria.
If I read the book again now, I am sure I would still feel as worried for her, as I did when I first read it… even though I know she survived!

This book sounds interesting. I will add it to my list thank you.
When I said ‘challenging’, I meant in the sense that it forced you to rethink life and your beliefs.

Well if you get to read Lucy Irvine’s books, I can promise you that I would never want to do what she had!:surprised:

I wonder what type of book you refer to? would it be a technical book with lots of technical jargen- a reference book on a particular subject or possibly a fiction/nonfiction book

To most I would think it was a DIY flat pack assembly furniture kit

I read Castaway Twink
Sounded awful

Ok, I’ll be more specific. It took me three months to read the book Sapiens: A brief history of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harare. I usually read a book in three days.
Almost every other paragraph challenged my belief system.

I’m reading his follow up book ‘Homo Deus’ at the moment which has taken me six months to read a quarter of the book. It’s very thought provoking. #deepstuff

As for flat pack assembly furniture instructions, that’s a whole new thread.:shock:

Maybe ‘War and Peace’ … 1225 pages, a challenge for anyone! :slight_smile:

I was fascinated by the author! In “Runaway” she went hitch hiking alone round Europe & had some awful experiences… including rape.
She had a son and lived in a remote Scottish cottage for some time, but I always wanted her to find some happiness.

Good afternoon Minx, and welcome.

May I ask which country ‘South’ is in please? :slight_smile:

Hello Minx :slight_smile: We notice you have omitted to include your country of residence in your profile. It would be helpful to us if you could add it please.

Kind regards.

I must admit, I never read that book. Would you recommend it?

Thanks, I have updated my profile. :024:

:024: done thanks!

Thank you Minx, appreciated…