Grandparents can be frustrating at times

Everyone here had them. Some even still have them. Grandparents. I only ever knew my Grandmother. Most of us look back on them with affection. I cried at my Grandmothers passing. She was such a sweet lady. (with the devil lurking inside her) She did have an acerbic streak, but only when provoked.
Remember those sayings that used to come from their mouths. Sayings that left me, as an unknowing child, wondering, “What does that mean”?:thinking:

The cat can look at the Queen
If Johnny told you to jump off a cliff, would you do it? My response to this was, "Who’s Johnny "?
What’s good for the goose is good for the gander. huh?
You would forget your head if it was not screwed on. I had nightmares about this. :slightly_frowning_face:
I’m sure it was only a lick and a promise.
Who’s got a bee in their bonnet then?
I’ll give you what for.

I look back on these times in awe and a little frustration.
So much could have been learnt if things were explained to us.
My dad frustrated me the most.
When he was venturing out somewhere I would very often ask him,
“Where you going, Dad” ?
He always replied,
“I’m going to see a man about a dog.”
I was so excited thinking we were getting a dog.
We never got a dog. :dog:

2 Likes

We got a Dog, it continuously attacked the old guy, that Was funny :grin:

1 Like

That’s a saying where you are. I don’t think it’s a saying here. When did you learn what it meant?

1 Like

British origin. As early as 1866.
I really do not remember when I found out what it meant. I’m sure many years later.

1 Like

My dad told me to" use more elbow grease " when i was polishing his car . Of course i asked him where to find it.

1 Like

Adults. Think themselves so clever and funny.
As an apprentice I was always being sent to get non existent items.
Left handed screwdriver, replacement bubble for a spirit level. a long weight. :grinning:

2 Likes

Did you ever say “Mike Hunt” over the tannoy :icon_wink:

1 Like

No idea what this means. :slightly_frowning_face:

This is hard work… “My _unt” c what I mean?

Going to see a man about a dog, here it means going to the toilet. Always been a male saying though, not a female one.

1 Like

Yes, my dad said this !
Glad he never got a dog, mum was petrified of dogs LOL

1 Like

So can Grandchildren. Who.
Out of their eyes and spoken word. Grandpa is best known!!
Scenario. Family get together. Dinner at a Posh Restaurant. Grub left over.
Grandpa to waiter. “Could you put that into a Doggie Bag for Me. Please”.
14yo Grandson, loudly to waiter and other chuckling diners.
“But Gramps doesn’t have a dog”.
10yo Granddaughter to brother.
Shuush. He can have mine round to dinner.
Grandpa Writes on bill receipt.
“No guesses who’s orf my Birthday pressie list”.
:rofl: All the way 2 the Loo. Un- Frustrated.

1 Like

@Bretrick I only have very fond memories of my paternal grandparents. They took me in when my father died around my 5th birthday and then wrapped their ‘shield’ around me until I was sent to boarding school. My mother was ‘war damaged’ and floundered, so they nurtured me in very loving ways away from harm and antisemitism. Many years later when Grandad died, I took Nan in giving her the ground floor of my large Victorian suburban villa where she lived happily until her time was up.

2 Likes

I had just one grandparent and she lived in the the Outer Hebridies so we rarely saw her.

1 Like

I never knew my paternal grandparents , only saw pictures
My nan was in a wheelchair….from an early age ,

My maternal nan was lovely , i loved visiting her , but she had no many other grandchildren, you had to book lol
My mother was the eldest of 9 daughters

I only knew my maternal grandfather as being ill and in bed coughing all the time

This is my paternal grandad

1 Like