Grand National today

I wish they would ban horse racing.

Two horses died on todays race. Its heartbreaking.

Just for the entertainment and in the name of sport those poor horses had to die.

It seems cruel to me to put them through these races just so someone might win some money!

2 Likes

It is sad that two horses died in this meeting LQ but nobody mentions the other 200 that have died in other meetings

The British Horseracing Authority (BHA) is currently responsible for race horse welfare – but the number of on-course fatalities is still around 200 a year

While I agree with you Queenie, about banning these gruelling races, but where does it end? What about Show jumping, Greyhound racing - that is a cruel world - and so on . . . ?
All these things are for financial gain and status, they are not for the good of the animals being used and abused by greedy humans.

I have never bet on the Grand National, and never will.

4 Likes

When my older sister was about 18 someone took her to The Grand National, she came home terribly distressed. She said you could hear the fallen horses screaming. This was before they made changes to some of the jumps to supposedly make them “safer”. After what she told me, (I would have been about 15 I suppose) I have never watched not bet on it. Some places I worked used to do a sweepstake, but I never joined in, and always gave them my reasons.

2 Likes

I agree Mupsy, although it is sickening to think that the horses died for our pleasure, there will always be animal and human cruelty going on somewhere in the world. Horses with impediments should not be allowed to race also, because the horse that had my wedge on it only had three legs I believe…
:open_mouth:

Yes, it is always about the needs of the humans, Foxy.
If people are in such need of recognition, status, glorification and the money that goes with it, perhaps they should get off their backsides and race each other. I am sure with gruelling training they could learn to jump hurdles as big as themself - with a heavy weight strapped to their back, while being beaten with a big stick and shouted at. We could put bets on them.
I wonder if then it might begin to sink in how the horse feels . . .

Oh, and those who continually lose race after race could always be shot to make way for another trainee. Thats how they treat the animals after all. :slightly_smiling_face:

I did Mupsy, for 42 years…
:running_man:

I know what you mean LQ but all the horses in yesterdays race made it . Two horses have died at the race meeting in total.
The blood stock industry’s is vast and is run by mega rich people so a ban is unlikely .

Do horses die during flat races too, or is it nearly always jumps?

I thought Jem had a filly in it?

They do die their legs snap or they have a heart attack but jumping is far more dangerous for them .

1 Like

I think it is a horrible sport but I agree with you - it won’t be banned. Even the Royal family supported it.

Sadly, there’s mention of 4 horses being PTS in today’s MoS.

I am sorry to hear that .