Grammar advice regarding apostrophe

A friend of mine has just been blessed with a baby grandson. The parents are naming the baby Louis (pronouncing it Loo-ee).

I am planning to get them a personalised toy box as a present as I thought it would be something that would be used for years, but when it comes to the personalisation should it be “Louis’ toy box” or “Louis’s toy box”.

I have looked online, but can’t find a definitive answer, as some suggest it
depends if the name is pronounced Loo-ee or Lew-iss.

Can anybodies help me.

What a lovely gesture

For my two penny worth I’m going to say Louis toy box but I’ll see what others say

1 Like

I’m not really sure either, to be honest. I would just have the name Louis on it, and he can use the box for any purpose in years to come.

3 Likes

Personally I think it should be Louis’ Toy Box but that is just my opinion. The difficulty is that I have seen it argued that if the final s is not a plural (like Mothers’ Day ie it is for many Mothers) then it should be Louis’s but I prefer the s’

1 Like

Irrespective of the pronounciation - if a name ends with an ‘s’ the correct possessive
would be just the apostrophy = Louis’

2 Likes

I agree with Bruce.

1 Like

That’s a good idea PK, but the box I was looking at has “Toy Box” printed on it, (as well as a giraffe, zeb and lion) on it, and then they print the name on it.

1 Like

Thanks all, Louis’ toy box it shall be. If I got it wrong it might be the type of thing that would drive the parents mad, then again it might not.

Louis on its own is a good idea as you say it can then be used for other things as he gets older

2 Likes

IMO, the possessive of Louis is Louis’s, since Louis’ would still be pronounced loo-ee.

It’s a “dimella”, as Jade Goody once said.

:017:

2 Likes

Oh I didn’t know it had “toy box” on it already…for some reason I imagined you had a plain wooden box that you were going to decorate yourself :smiley:

This one.

1 Like

Hmm it’s a tricky one . I would have said Louis’

I found this talking about the name Louis

1 Like

:joy: :joy: Sadly I am completely lacking in artistic skills, if I attempted that it would look like…well a messy mucky muddle.

1 Like

I’m afraid that Americans are not very good at spelling, etc. Sadly, due to the ongoing influence of Americanisms, along with poor teaching, Britain is going the same way.

1 Like

Louis is the French form of the Old Frankish given name Chlodowig but, in French, the solution is worse:

Coffre à jouets de Louis

1 Like