Government technology training establishment

Has any member attended the now defunct Government Technology Academy?
This suddenly came to mind after reading the thread concerning the big freeze of 1962-3.
RAF Cardington was part used by the government as an in-house engineering training establishment. It ran residential courses with attendees put up in the old huts and fed in the mess. If ever there was a bleak location for educational instruction courses Cardington was top of the list :+1:

2 Likes

No never been there. But I have done a 9 week course at the RN College Greenwich :grinning:

2 Likes

That was probably run along the same lines. Cardington courses were for outside industry as well as for in-house education. For my sins, I had to devise a course about bridge design, maintenance and failures amongst some other subjects. Fortunately for me, the bridge one was my last and I returned back to my section …yay!!

2 Likes

Never heard of it,LD,sorry…will be interesting to read the replies to your topic,:+1:

2 Likes

The best part about it was all the attendees were well educated adults, so easy to instruct. Unlike tech colleges where about 50% were sent by an employer and all they wanted to was natter or mess around🤬

2 Likes

It was when I was working for the MoD. It was the Nuclear Dockyard Course.
We lived in for the whole time in cabins. We ate in the Painted Hall (which was the mess)

Was good fun, we had access to all the sports facilities and mess dinners.

3 Likes

Wow!!..look at the architecture and art in that building…beautiful!!

2 Likes

A bit about the college. It was more impressive in real life. :+1:

https://ornc.org/

2 Likes

That is an incredible building! :astonished:

2 Likes