Got in early applying for holidays

Booked three weeks off work from 29 January till 19th February.
Do you/did you give plenty of notice when wanting a break from work?

2 Likes

Only once when I booked a trip to Disneyland. I never thought I’d be looking forward to going there. I also had some exploring adventures on that trip. It was fun.

Mostly I was ok with working the times other people didn’t.

1 Like

My last job was shift work on 12 hour shifts, every five weeks I got a break of 10 days off anyway so I rarely took annual leave. The problem was that the 5 weeks annual leave plus the 10 days for public holidays kept accumulating. So they gave me an ultimatum to take my accumulated annual leave or lose it - of course I did.

Ironically while on leave they called me back to work a couple of times because of staff shortages so I was owed even more leave but it was a very nice travel break. When I retired they paid out all my long service leave which was a good lump sum too.

2 Likes

We could take when we liked without notice as long as there was cover

But if you needed a specific week you booked it in advance, then not too many other people were allowed to take that week

Christmas, Easter and Bank holiday week-ends there was always a bit of squabbling so you couldn’t book that in advance.

They’d ask for your “wish list” about a month ahead, then see who wanted what and allocate days, taking into account who’d had the time off the year before

2 Likes

Work for myself, that is the best solution for pseudo control freaks

2 Likes

Working in a secondary school office, holidays were within the times allocated for teachers and pupils. What a difference when I retired - destinations were quieter and usually cheaper to get to.

1 Like

When I was working as a manager, I could plan my own time off whenever I wanted to. However, I was constrained by being on a call-out rota which had to be covered in my absence.

These days, I’m constrained by the needs of my wife and what I can afford.

1 Like

When I had young kids I had the NSW School holiday calendar on the wall so I could have my holidays with the kids. These days I have the school holidays calendar on the wall so I can avoid taking a trip on the school holidays (prices tend to go up).

Unfortunately other states don’t have the same school holidays so our trip to the red centre coincided with the start of the SA school holidays but that’s life.

2 Likes