Google play migration to you tube - payments requested for purchased content

So I noticed this a while back, but didn’t investigate further as I didn’t have time.

I used to buy movies and shows from Google play, this is before the Netflix era. It seemed natural to assume that if you brought a movie or show this would be yours forever.

However, since then Google play is no longer hosting movie and show purchases.
You now have the list you bought on Google play showing up in your You tube library.
Now it seems that while some movies are still accessible to me in the You tube library but most of the seasons of shows that I paid good money for are “pay to watch”.

It directs me to switch to my channel on you tube, but when I do this it says that nothing is purchased. I had a look around and it seems to be asking me to switch to a branded partner version of the you tube account. As I have no idea what I am doing I don’t want to start changing things.

Long shot but has anyone else had this problem? It’s very annoying that you pay good money and then you can’t access content you paid for. This was my main reason not to go for a kindle, because who knows how long those books would be available vs the paper ones on your shelf that you know are 100% yours. I didn’t expect google to make my content disappear when they did a deal with you tube.

I don’t have any experience with this, but this struck me.

Google has owned Youtube since 2006. Netflix didn’t start until 2007.

I looked up about Google Play credits and found this article from 2021 that Google Play movies are now playing on Youtube. At the time, they gave people a $5.99 credit. All movies purchased are supposed to be working on Youtube. If they’re not, it might be a glitch.

This is from June 15, 2021:

https://thestreamable.com/news/google-play-movies-and-tv-purchases-moving-to-youtube-app-in-june

Edit: Found this from Google. It looks like they have several rules for their DRM.

https://play.google/movies-tv-usage-rules/

1 Like

Thanks Butterscotch. Seems as though youtube has been with us forever. I don’t remember receiving a credit, but although my past tv shows are there, only the movies I bought are available as free to play. I’ve hard smart TVs for years but not those brands.

I will have to look further into this

1 Like