Google brings AI to search as it vies with Microsoft

Google has announced it is rolling out artificial intelligence (AI) to its core search engine. The move comes after Microsoft incorporated ChatGPT into its Bing search engine earlier this year.

Search Generative Experience - which will be part of Google - will craft responses to open-ended queries, the company said. However, the system will only be available to a limited number of users and is still in “experimental” phase.

“We are reimagining all of our core products, including search,” said Sundar Pichai, the boss of Google’s parent company Alphabet.

Additionally, the company announced a new feature on Google’s Android system will proactively warn users about unknown AirTags, tiny devices developed to track phones that have been used to stalk people. (1) The technology giant said the “unknown tracker alerts” would go live this summer.

The announcement came after Apple and Google said last week they were working together to address the problem. Last year two women sued Apple over AirTag stalking.

The company said it was removing the waitlist for “Bard”, its experimental, conversational, chat service, which will be rolled out in English in 180 countries and territories. It also said the chatbot would soon be able to respond to prompts with images as well as text.

Google has been under pressure to burnish its artificial intelligence offerings, after the runaway success of rival chatbot ChatGPT, which is funded by Microsoft.

(1) Apple AirTags - 'A perfect tool for stalking' - BBC News

1 Like

Bing search engine appeared on my laptop over a week ago. It is there permanently. It must be this AI thingy, I will not use it.

1 Like

Try this

or this:

Thank you. I will give it a go.