Goodwood Festival of Speed

Lately I have discovered this event, and it took all of 2 minutes for me to become a fan. So now I’m binge watching. Really terrific to see all the classic cars and different classes. :grinning: :grinning:

What kills me is some of the drivers are our age or older.

2 Likes

Just watched the first one,Danny, as I have to go out…quite interesting that ,that car was a racing car in it’s time, the roads must have been a lot bumpier in those days, as the commentator explained, I’ll be back to watch the rest…:+1:

2 Likes

It’s a fantastic venue and programme. I reside just ‘up-the-road’ to Goodwood and the track, so I know the whole kit-n-caboodle first hand :ok_hand::+1:

2 Likes

Lucky you,LD…:+1:

2 Likes

I’m not generally a sports fan. Rally racing, the Isle of Mann in any class, Pike’s Peak. Those are the only races I’ve watched consistently. This, however is right up my alley.

Anything where the roar of proper IC engines are concerned, I become very enthusiastic; even diesel trucks will have me cheering n waving :wave:

1 Like

I don’t understand European concept of American Muscle. Most of these cars are mustangs. No Chargers, no Cameros, no Corvettes, No Challengers. the GTO for gods sake. You’re missing some of the best American Muscle

They’re all toy circuits compared to Bathurst’s Mount Panorama sadly the Bathurst 1000 now uses fake cars and isn’t the track it used to be with the advent of the Supercars.

1 Like

Modern racing isn’t as fun as it used to be. They make all the cars equal, engine wise. I liked it much better when a guy could take a souped up car out of his garage and race with the big boys. Back then it was not only the best driver but the fastest car. Now as far as I’m concerned it’s boring because your win depends on luck, placing, and skill of the driver. Speed is no longer an issue (I’m talking Nascar) they all go the same speed. Now instead of not knowing what was going to happen, you already know. That’s one of the main reasons I like Pike’s Peak. No Rules, other than a good roll cage.

The Bathurst 1000 used to be a great race, they were real cars that you could buy and had several classes running at once. It was spoilt with all the concrete walls, the first race i went to in the 1960s a car ended up in a dam and the driver had to be saved from drowning.

Oh yes and no safety car the recovery truck was on the circuit while they were racing.

This is an article I found on Nascar in the 60s.
You cannot find the complete NASCAR rules online, or anywhere for that matter, unless you are a team racing in NASCAR. And apparently, those with access to the forbidden book of rules are told to not share it with those who are not in the NASCAR world. You can find SOME rules online and NASCAR sometimes publicizes the more important rule changes. But the nitty-gritty details? Those are top secret.

It wasn’t always this way. The NASCAR Rule Book used to be widely available. Then again, they used to race actual stock cars too. Times have changed. The “1969 NASCAR International Stock Car Racing Rule Book,” as it was called, cost $1.50 and ran 90 pages if you count the inside back cover with its schematic of the official “Tire Measuring Device.” The pages are only four by six inches and only the first 45 pages applied to the Grand National division. I suspect the modern rulebook is about as thick as an old phonebook, if it were printed and bound.

I have to be honest I never found NASCAR very interesting you only have to learn to turn the wheel one way and the age of the drivers indicated that it was a skill once learned that you didn’t need to improve.

They did try to set something similar up here in Victoria but the circuit was never a success, I think NASCAR will remain a US only type of racing

I forgot to mention that when it is not a race track Mount Panorama is a public road

1 Like

that’s coz the US is resting on its laurels.

1 Like

I’m not a Nascar fan either. They to me took the fun out of racing. And going in a circle for hours is not appealing. Probably why I love Rally so much. Where else can you roll your car and if it lands on the wheels you keep going. If not fans turn you over and you keep going. Plus the tracks are insane and weather is not a factor.