Good morning Wednesday 13th of September

Morning all,

It has been a minute since I have opened a chat.

Things are busy, that goes without saying, and with a new position at work (which simply means more work, limited budget, more meetings), it is proving a hard sell at the moment.

Sitting in another meeting and sweating away in the classroom, my mind wandered. It waded into the fields of, ‘when am I actually going to retire from all this?’

With the way our mortgage has increased (we still have a few years on it), and the direct debits are a bottomless pit that needs constant serving, the grey skies on the horizon are looming a lot darker.

A close friend of mine recently retired (May 2023). He worked himself to near death (two heart attacks), and in the end he said enough, ‘I can’t spend it if I’m dead’. He is doing much better mentally but financially he is struggling – still.

My retirement fund is not that great, so I can see myself working well on past the official retirement date, at least well into my seventies. I actually adore teaching, so moving into the realm of lecturing in FE/HE, like an old professor may be more enticing later in life.

Let me know your thoughts on retiring early/retiring/working after pensionable age.

Have a great one!

1 Like

Good morning @M44 and all to follow .
When my Hubby reached earley retirement age which was 59 he asked for his figures , the lump sum of his private pension and the small Monthly Private Pension was enough we worked out to live on till his state pension came in 5 year later ,

Mind you we were Renters never spent beyond our means ,so had just the normal monthly payout .,and knew it would not vary more than a few pounds over the next 5 years .
We got to the end of those 5 year comfortably ,
Our life didnt change that much when he retired , time was not spent together enjoying the freedom of time , he took on looking after his elderly Father , who was now more or less House bound . My life took on a different course .
You cannot plan for everything in life ,you never know whats going to come your way .
I hope you find your best course .

Have a nice day all .

2 Likes

My sister was a teacher.
Did her teacher training taught for an approximately 3 years.
Then a career change to P&O for a few years must of been 2 or 3 finally returning to teaching.
At 60 she was lucky enough when it was still possible to take early retirement. As you say the work load at times is intolerable along with staff arguments, breakdowns, etc. she always said she got into teaching to teach children not the never ending paperwork, politics and out hours work the job now entails.
With mortgage paid , her teachers pension and state pension she has managed very nicely now enjoying a comfortable life.

Good morning everyone

It’s a cold sunny morning in Yorkshire…

I’m so glad to be retired …retired aged 58 so did hubby…lucky I know. Having said that although retired we have never stopped working we have worked hard renovating three houses but it’s different than having to go out to work for someone else every day …I can recommend it :slight_smile:

Have a great day everyone

2 Likes

Good morning all

I made a mistake with my sister’s age upon retirement. I think she was in her 50s. Ooops I aged her :joy:

Have a great day all

1 Like

Morning all!

Thanks for starting the thread, M44. Sorry, I can’t help with the retirement question.

Feeling a bit out of sorts at the moment. Just need a bit more rest.

I already got done what I planned for today. I needed to draft a note to someone. If I feel up to it, I’ll send it later.

Have a good day everyone.

2 Likes

I personally hated retirement. I was a TV, VCR and HiFi engineer from the age of 15 when my training started up until the age of 55 when thanks to companies such as Sony and Panasonic etc building electronics that very rarely needed repairs, I was made redundant. The thought of retiring at such a young?? age was not for me. After a series of jobs such as Double Glazing Warehouse man, Swimming Pool Engineer and finally a delivery driver for a garden centre, 15 years in total, at the age of 70 I decided enough was enough. Having said that I must say that retirement was hell! I started work at the age of 14 and worked without a stop. No private pension either to look forward to. I reckon it took a couple of years of pottering around before I came to terms with my “new” lifestyle. I have to say that my extended family became the centre of my life and that’s the way it’s been for a good number of years and continues to be so.

2 Likes

Good post Mr M44. You may decide to continue on for a few more years.to add more to your pension. I continued until 68/69. I then moved up sticks to Yorkshire. A much bigger, cheaper house. It also meant we were closer to family. And that’s it for our last 10 years.

1 Like

Another one saying beware or retirement!

I know when your out there on the coal face it sounds like bliss but it doesn’t suit everyone

I retired last March and some bits of it are amazing and lovely, but I just don’t feel like me any more…

I need purpose, deadlines, crisis, young people, arguments, bitching, challenges, a sense of achievement and being bloody good at something and making a contribution👍

We’re fine money wise but there’s less to spend just on a whim and for fun and I feel guilty in case I’m spending the kids inheritance :scream:

And it’s all coffee mornings and cakes and talk of illnesses, medication and operations

If you love your job, I’d keep going as long as you can!

3 Likes

Good points, Maree. After I retired a projects came my way and I could pick and suit in the power electronics field. Then I got Covid jabs and that put paid to the projects. But I had my dog for company and I avoided company.

Yes, sage words.
Thank you Eliza.
:slightly_smiling_face:

That is wonderful, Ripple.
Glad she is enjoying the fruits of her labour.

Yes, would agree, I used to work as a FC many moons ago and it was better to work for myself, my hours. But sadly, paid very little into a personal pension.
Teaching, though I do adore it, takes a lot from your soul.
Thank you for sharing, summer.

1 Like

:laughing: Oh dear.

Hope you are feeling more yourself soon.
I always enjoy reading your take on topics, so take your time.

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing your journey, EZ_Rider.

I did have a PP but didn’t bother to put enough into it, so it was not fit for purpose, and I can’t tell you how many times I have ‘cashed’ in my pension. Now some regret.

I think I wouldn’t know what to do with myself if I simply stopped working.

Wonderful to read about your extended family.

That sounds perfect.
We have been looking for a new home recently, away from Greater London and my goodness, you get much more for your money.
In Norfolk for £600k, you can get a 6 bed, five bath home. You will be unable to get something ‘decent’ for the same price where we live. Not even close.
We want our next home to be our final home or ‘forever home’.

What powerful words, Maree.
I understand everything you wrote in our comment.
I will probably be teaching until I can’t see the interactive board, or AI takes over, which ever comes first.
Thank you for sharing!
:heart:

1 Like

You shouldn’t feel any guilt.
The money has been hard earned by you and your husband, now is the time while you are fit and able to enjoy it .

4 Likes

I agree. We live in a cul-de-sac and close to green fields.

1 Like