Good Morning Monday 12th August 2024

Good morning one and all.

The sky to the north of me looks a big grey though no rain as yet, need a bit. Good job I cut the lawn yesterday because it is not looking promising today, however there are definite signs of spring in the air

Just returned from my Monday morning coffee and cake session which, as usual, was very enjoyable. Came away with a few jobs to sort out for the seniors’ club.

Had a long phone call with my brother in the UK yesterday, topics ranging from riots to jobs for our kids through to the weather and the English summer. I had to laugh he was telling me it had been 21° today in his part of the world - that was exactly the same temperature as here.

Not much planned for today, might wander down the club for a few beers later.

Have a good one, enjoy the beginning of the week.

6 Likes

Hello all!

After a long away, back again with a new car, and new scope to tackle things.

• US election has a breath of fresh air

• Optimistic on getting in better shape

• Life is pretty darn good

Hoping to keep this springboard into Fall and cooler weather. Looking forward to putting a rack on the Honda CRV and start going places.

I hope everyone is well and looking forward to my Monday cup of coffee too! Getting some ZzzZzzz first though :slight_smile: Good day all!

6 Likes

A warm night and glad to be up and about. 32ºC is forecast for later. Monday morning is usually supermarket shopping but the routine is upset today by an appointment at the hospital. I have to see the Oncologist. Should be interesting. Might do the supermarket this afternoon.

Have a good day. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

feeling absolutely lousy with this cold. sore throat and sneezing and vey little sleep last night. I can’t remember the last time I had one

3 Likes

Have you done a Covid Test?

3 Likes

Morning all – had some rain last night but bright and sunny now. Temperatures forecast to reach 29c. It is 8.30 am and I am already hot (but not in the fun way!)

Coffee (or beers) with friends is always enjoyable Bruce – have fun

Sorry you aren’t feeling well realspeed - hope you get better soon

Had a very lazy day yesterday, relaxing in the sun and am now half way through the book I started on Saturday!

Boring day planned – some shopping and laundry (like I have said before I live alone so have no idea how come so much laundry seems to find its way into the basket!) :017:

Have just noticed the bird bath is empty so I will also be refilling that – oh what an exciting life I lead!

Take care, have a lovely day

4 Likes

Good morning everyone. Another hot day is forecast so I did my dog walking earlier than usual, which was quite pleasant.

August is a birthday month for my older son and my two grandsons (both adults) so I’ve been busy finding suitable presents for them which finished with buying gift tokens for each of them. When I ask them what they would like as a present they tend to say something like “Oh, I don’t know, an Amazon gift token please”, so that’s what they get. I really would like to buy something I can wrap but rarely do - I came to the conclusion many years ago that it is more difficult to buy an actual physical present for men than for women and that it’s best to go down the gift token route for them. Still, at least I’ve bought them something they asked for and in time I shall learn what their tokens bought. I just never feel that a token is a proper gift - although I must admit if anyone gives me a book token I am really pleased so I can’t have it both ways can I?

I have nothing much planned for today, it’s too hot for gardening so I expect I shall settle with my book once the housework is done.

Happy Monday everyone!

3 Likes

I agree with @spitfire, Have you had a RAT test? You have just got back from rubbing shoulders with people on a crowded boat, better to be safe than sorry.

A lovely Monday morning to all, a most lovely Monday indeed :smiley:

Monday Monday—The Mamas & the Papas
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dh81Ojd3d2rY&ved=2ahUKEwj475mwp--HAxWaD1kFHe5HKhkQ78AJegQIDRAB&usg=AOvVaw3JRf8tekaDfNXf-m2FsCKG

Have a safe and happy Monday :smiley:

2 Likes

Here Here !!!

2 Likes

Had so many anti COVID jabs last one a couple of months ago.

1 Like

We were chatting for an hour & half with our boy in Oz yesterday, about illegal immigrants, crypto and the Pres election campaign. Yikes. Then we went out to our favourite deli, got 24 bottle of wine, 3 packs of frozen octopi amongst other things.

G’day all, the glorious 12th, might shoot a grouse!

Mrs d00d has gone to the gym, I’m thinking about not going far, maybe Shepherds Bush Market where they sell cloves in big bags at a sensible price.

1 Like

Good afternoon all!
A bit hot and oppressive here but hey ho!
I was having a rummage through a kitchen drawer and what do I find ?

Three years out of date but I have faith!
I now have a small pot on my bedroom windowsill…

Enjoy the rest of your day people! :sun_with_face:

2 Likes

Good morning!

Birds are chirping, the contractors have once again invaded, and I am happily on my perch overlooking the estuary and listening to the birds chirp while on their morning breakfast expeditions.

@mart, good luck with the appointment today and I hope you feel better soon, @realspeed.

Even though it promises to act like August here with soaring temperatures, I was able to slip away to the sportsplex to run off the decadence of dining out this weekend. Adjacent to the field is a large acreage that, to my knowledge, was nothing more than a dense forest of marine oaks, palmettos, and thick vines. Imagine my amazement this morning when they had cleared out the underbrush to reveal a large abandoned ranch (one-level) house and a few outbuildings. The house couldn’t possibly be older than 1970 or so and other than the ravages of abandonment, it looks like it is in fairly good shape. What happens that brings a place to a sad state? Death of an owner, the failed investment of a developer, or a difficult family situation? It seems somehow sad to see what was once a home so neglected. It also reminds me of those movies in which nature reclaims all the monuments and iconic buildings in some dystopian future.

Nonetheless, my mind was on a happier state of affairs with a nice long run and a quick cool down on my little beach cruiser. I love that bike because it looks like the girl-looking bikes we rode long ago with baskets and flowers painted on the sides. I’m also happy with the news that the Bermuda is taking hold of the latest pre-hurricane, which will spin the thing out to sea.

This is Monday, so my keys will be in hand soon enough to run a list of errands that would bore everyone senseless.

Enjoy your coffee and day, whatever the weather!

3 Likes

Do you know I’m so glad I read that paragraph twice over?
I was initially going to respond with a big thumbs up being fascinated with your lush description of the flora! And then the penny dropped!
Nature get’s us all in the end!
On a less melancholic note I’m not entirely sure what a beach cruiser looks like…

1 Like

Your story reminds me of Kellie’s Castle near Ipoh in Malaysia. The owner was building a mansion but he died during construction and it was abandoned and forgotten, reclaimed by the jungle.

It was rediscovered fairly recently

1 Like

@Chilliboot, there is always good news with the bad, and in this case, the thinning yielded several acres of ancient marine oaks with diameters larger than cars!

As for the beach cruiser, it is a single speed bike with foot brakes, the kind of bike we rode as kids. Mine is currently behind the booth the painters have constructed, but you can get the idea in this painting I did of my BC a few years back:

3 Likes

I love that, it really catches the eye!
There’s something really engaging about your pet’s face.
I’m just about to leave for work and that’s really lightened my mood , thank you!

Although, do dogs actually have faces, something to ponder :thinking: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Is it just me or is that some kind of optical illusion. @Surfermom ?

But I could happily live with that.

1 Like

Thank you! She had quite a history. She was found as a puppy in the debris where a 23 foot hurricane storm surge overwhelmed a coastal town not too far away. We were doing pet rescues after the hurricane and came home with this brilliant girl.

2 Likes