Good Morning/Afternoon - Thurs 18.Aug.2022

Good Morning/Afternoon all you lovely people.

Much cooler here today with promise of rain this evening. Going to war with the dreaded Ivy again. If anyone knows of a way to rid myself of the wretched stuff please tell me before I go insane! I drag it out by the roots from place and - overnight - it appears somewhere else!!

Ah well - they do say gardening keeps you fit!

Hi

Keep at it ST, it is a war of attrition

The devilishly clever have confined me to bed by putting me on a drip hung from the wall.

This is to make sure I don’t go walkabout in my room.

I did last night and had a bit of a stumble

I am on the naughty seat today.

Have a good day all

2 Likes

Maybe I should send them some Ivy!!??

Tabby I have had problems with Ivy & it is very difficult to kill in one attempt.
If it is climbing up your walls try cutting the stems and the leaves above it will die. It is hard work but it does reduce the growth.
I understand that Ivys don’t like white vinegar , but you need to find the root .
See if you know anybody who has something strong enough to cut the base stem at the bottom & then feed it daily with white vinegar. but I suspect you will need a large container of the vinegar. Look in the internet to see how much a big container of vinegar costs. I think you can get around 5 litres from Amazon for about ÂŁ6.
I suspect you may have to keep checking for any new growth though!

1 Like

Here is another method where you spray the whole plant but it may not be as successful and iy may kill other plants that get sprayed.

Can you use vinegar to kill Ivy?

But while it’s commonly used to remove stains such as limescale, few people are aware it can also double up as the perfect weed killer. According to a gardening expert, if you create a solution comprised of 20 percent white vinegar to 80 percent water, you’ve got yourself some ivy killer.

1 Like

Thanks Twink - I have cut through several base stems and bathed them in domestos - no good. Will give the white vinegar a try - always some in house as I use it a lot.

Look at my 2nd suggestion! Cant guarantee it will work though!

1 Like

Short of setting fire to the house - I will try anything! Thanks, Twink.

It really is a pest to get rid of. It seems it is best to use a mixture of Whie vinegar (as Twink said), mixed with Soap and Salt. - Also wear gloves while you’re handling it.

See here:

1 Like

Hi

Your tame penny pinching scientist here

Forget the apple cider vinegar, far too expensive and use white vinegar.

At least as good as apple cider and can be 30% stronger

1 Like

Thank you Mups and Swimmy !

I have had no experience with ivy but I have with wisteria, I found the only real solution was to cut it down near to the ground then paint neat Glyphosate 360 (Roundup) onto every newly cut stem. Even then it took a couple of seasons to completely kill it. Took the same treatment to get rid of bamboo.

Don’t pull it up, you always leave some behind Glyphosate is the gardener’s best friend.

2 Likes

Thank you, Bruce.

1 Like

For heaven’s sake keep Neemo well away from Glyphosphate* though, Tabs.

1 Like

OK - lunch over - magic potion mixed - off to start spraying!

Nemo is currently a snoring heap of fur on the end of my bed - I will keep him safe.

2 Likes

Oh . . . I forgot - and Good afternoon all, too. :smiley:

1 Like

Morning/afternoon all!

Had some fun rehydrating some fountain pen ink that had dried up in the bottle. I didn’t realize that the cap was leaking until I saw the ribbon at the base of the cap turn color. Luckily, I caught it before it dripped anywhere except my hand. Then luckily it’s water-based ink because it washed off easily. Now I have some more ink to play with.

Hoping for a cooler day today.

Have a colorful day everyone.

1 Like

Afternoon all.

Visited Susie and her hubby this morning. Stayed about 1.5 hrs then went on to Tesco. Running low on my favourite cereal but no delivery yet. Grrrrr.

1 Like