Going back to the moon

On Jan. 8th, 2020, the 1st stage of Artemis 1, the next manned mission to the moon, left the New Orleans Michoud facility headed to the Stennis facility for testing. After testing is complete Artemis 1 will be shipped to Cape Kennedy.

You may recall that the previous manned missions to the moon were called the Apollo program. In Greek mythology, the goddess Artemis was the twin sister of the god Apollo.

It has been announced that the 1st Artemis mission will include the 1st woman to go to the moon.

1 Like

Why?. IT’s just a dead ball of rock and dust. Any importance it has as a celestial body and it’s influence on the Earth can easily be studied and measured from Earth for a bajillion less dollars.

The Artemis missions are only the 1st step to the goal of beginning a permanent manned settlement on Mars. Ultimately, many, many more years in the future, terraforming will begin on Mars. Once that happens, humans will have two planets on which to live.

I would have loved to have gone to the moon. How mind blowing would that have been… to be the first person to step onto it.

Strangely no mention of this mission in the media that I am aware of.

You may be able to find info on MSN.com
Also, if you go to youtube.com you can find some info by searching “Artemis 1 core stage” Some nifty videos there.

Now that we’ve almost stuffed this one. Excuse my cynicism but I think the billions would be better spent on doing something real and lasting about fixing up the damage we’ve done to this planet before we start on another one. We’ve already made a massive garbage dump of space around Earth (See pic) How about a clean up there first. And you say humans. What about the animals?..Really. What about them. Do they get to go too? And Mars?..You don’t have to go to Mars to see Mars. JUst visit parts of outback Australia. You don’t even need a rocket and you can even breathe fresh, clean air. For now.

My, oh, my what a breast that SLS Artemis 1 is. They say it is the most powerful rocket ever built. At lift off, it consumes 2 tons of fuel PER SECOND. WOW!

Though I don’t pretend to understand the mathematics behind it, the moon’s orbit is supposed to be the launching site to make the first manned mission to Mars.

Latest info says that they have tentatively set the date of the 1st moon mission at 2024. :smiley:

Keezoy, you are entitled to your opinion , but whether you like it or not, it IS going to happen.

That computer generated image is EXTREMELY misleading. It is NOT to scale. If it were to scale, all of those white dots could not be seen. The fact of the matter is that people who are in orbit above earth do not see any of those things. Moreover, lots of those “things” are working satellites.

Of course mate. I know that. And of course you are too. This forum is about debate and civilised argument. But am I also entitled to ask questions based on what you say?..They are…again. 1. What about the crap around our own planet?..2. What about our animals? Also, you are so fatalistic about this course of events. Like you appear to be 100% sure of what is going to happen in the future. These kind of ventures I would think would depend, amongst a lot of other things, on world peace and co-operation between the superpowers. Is the USA going to do it alone?..with China? Russia?..India?.. And about the image. That crossed my mind also. But all the same, are you saying space around Earth is not full of garbage and dead equipment?..My questions are serious. Not rhetorical in the least.

Yes, the USA is , in fact, going to do it alone. Friends of the U.S probably will be invited to go along, just as they were invited on the space shuttle. But, this is a U.S.A mission.

Your thoughts about animals going to Mars are hundreds of years into the far future. We must FIRST terraform Mars and make the atmosphere breathable AND only then will we be able to transplant seedlings from earth. But, even before THAT happens we will be cultivating edible crops for our own consumption.

Please go to youtube.com and search “Artemis 1 roll out.” and you will see exactly why I am 100% positive about what I say. The first group of Artemis 1 astronauts have recently graduated
I think I an safe in guaranteeing that Artemis will be launched in 2024.

OK thanks. I’ll do that. :slight_smile:

Three things are necessary for life to exist as we know it : a power source, water and organic materials. We already knew that our Sun is the power source. All that was lacking on Mars was liquid water and organic materials. Well, the most recent Martian explorer, CURIOUSITY, weighing in at a huge 2 tons, and vastly more efficient than all other Mars rovers combined, has confirmed the presence of liquid water AND organic materials. This makes our task of establishing a permanent colony on Mars must easier than previously thought.

Imagine this. Married couples are established on Mars. The couples become pregnant. Babies are born. They will, in fact, be true Martians. After all of the science fiction, it turns out that the Martians will be US. Geez, I just love it. :smiley:

While no one is more interested than I am in such ideas. Mars won’t be terraformed.Setting aside the scientific barriers of that would prevent creating and maintaining an atmosphere of a habitable pressure, the cost of colonizing Mars, even on a fairly small scale would be short-lived because of mammoth costs.

Yes, I agree with you about the cost. I am not suggesting that it might happen soon. Likely we are talking about hundreds of years to start terraforming. However, a manned mission to Mars is IMO in the very near future.

Certainly the Artemis 1 program is moving forward even as we speak. I do feel that our children will live to see a permanent settlement on Mars. :slight_smile:

What a total waste of money and resources that would be better employed sorting out the evils of this benighted planet before even thinking of corrupting another one!

Well, all I can say is that this planet is in deep trouble. We have terrorists trying to kill us, random serial killers running lose, child molesters, drug dealers, and criminals of every sort. I, for one, see absolutely NO HOPE of ever sorting them out. I have long since stopped watching the TV news because it is too depressing to hear that yet another child has been abused and murdered. I just can’t take it anymore.

When we do try to something about the ills of this planet, there is no end to the number of people who try their best to stop us from cleaning things up. If I could leave this planet and go somewhere else, I’d be the first in line.

On the other hand, it feels like SOMETHING positive is happening when I read about the new Artemis moon/mars program.

I can understand how you feel, Bakerman, and I really wish I could believe things would be different on another planet - but, alas, they would not.

Geez, I was hoping that I could start a post where there could be mutual excitement and discussion on a positive note. I was wrong !

Were going to need an Ark, at the very least.

Hi Bakerman, l have looked at the Artemas project article and it is
inspiring and exciting indeed, and l am sure it will take place as
so much has been accomplished allready, the moon landing will
be completed possibly in my lifetime, l hope so,(l am 84yrs now?)
That will be a return trip! The next phase, to go to mars will follow
after setting up a permant base on the moon before the attempt to
reach mars, which will be a one way trip? All the phases of this
mission have allready been sketched out!
So l hope to see the lunar base completed, and hope no major
disaster occurs to stop this project?
As you say, it is exciting and imaginative and l think it is what being
human is all about! IMO!
Our problems on this planet must be cured on this planet and imo
could mostly be cured by reducing our populations?
Regards Donkeyman!