Giving Bank Details on the Doorstep

Why do Charities send people out knocking on doors asking you to sign up by DD.

I told this person I dont give bank details on the doorstep,

Would you sign up to a charity this way ?

1 Like

The short answer is no. But I donā€™t want people on my doorstep worrying me for money. I give to my preferred charities by direct debit.

1 Like

No I wouldnā€™t and I needs someone to stop it .

1 Like

I agree.

1 Like

I donā€™t give cash or payments or bank details to anyone who turns up on my doorstep and says they are fundraising.
I donā€™t even open the door - I just ask who they are through the door and if itā€™s a charity fundraiser, I tell them
ā€œNo thanks, Iā€™ve made my own arrangements to donate to my chosen charities. I never open the door to cold callers, so please donā€™t call again.ā€

I find it much easier to get rid of them that way - if I open the door and enter into conversation with them, I find it more difficult to end the conversation and I donā€™t like to shut the door in their face as I think most of the charity fundraisers are genuine and trying to help those in need, so I donā€™t like to be rude.
I think it saves their time and mine if I just donā€™t open the door in the first place and tell them why.
Part of the regulations for door-to-door charity fundraising is that a Fundraiser should not keep returning to an address if the occupier has asked them not to, so the genuine fundraisers should not come back.
Itā€™s rare I get any fundraisers at my door nowadays - Iā€™ve been refusing to open the door for the last 10 years, so maybe my address is on all their ā€œdo not callā€ lists by now! :grinning:

2 Likes

Most certainly not Eliza I am lucky living on the first floor the people have to get passed the extra vigilant people downstairs so I rarely get bothered by them.

1 Like

When I lived in a secure entry close, nobody bothered us because nobody buzzed to let them in. Now I have a front street facing door, I have had a few cold callers but have no problem saying no thank you, and closing the door on them.

Itā€™s not my responsibility to make them feel ok about doing their job.

I would never give my bank details out on the doorstep or in the street anyway

4 Likes

Absolutely not Elizaā€¦
The only people I converse with on the doorstep are Jehovahā€™s witnesses, Iā€™ve got lots of questions to ask them and they usually try to escape and end the conversation with meā€¦
:094:

3 Likes

Definite ā€˜Noā€™. The doorstep callers are called Chuggers and get a commission on any sales they make. Do not give your bank details to any telephone callers as well. I had a phone call from British Gas asking me to renew my service contract by giving him my details. I said No, post me your request. He said he could not do that anymore. Me thinks it was a scam ā€¦

3 Likes