Getting bitten by Chiggers (aka berry bugs, harvest mites)

I am spending time in the garden and am getting lots of Chigger bites.
The little pests are active in August and are invisible to the human eye .
You only know they have bitten you several hours later .
Very itchy bites .

Am presently in love with the Anthisan cream and have several tubes of it around the house !

I don’t usually react to insect bites but these wiltshire Chiggers mean business. :slight_smile:

I had never heard of Chiggers before, Muddy, had to go and google. They sound most unpleasant little beasties.

What Are the Signs of Chigger Bites? Chigger bites are itchy red bumps that can look like pimples, blisters, or small hives. They are usually found around the waist, ankles, or in warm skin folds. They get bigger and itchier over several days, and often appear in groups.

Chiggers typically will not survive on humans more than three days. Chigger larvae attach to a host, but they do not burrow into the flesh. The itching from a chigger bite does not begin until three or more hours after the feeding.

Your body responds by hardening skin cells around the saliva, creating a tube, or a stylostome through which the chigger sucks the host’s body fluids. Chiggers can stay attached and feeding for several days. Usually they last about 4 days before falling off.

Apparently they are related to spiders.

Can only assume its Horse Flies here, the last to marks bought blood.

You certainly know if you have been bitten by a horse fly!

1 Like

Bet Chiggers are less annoying than Cheggers, in the long run.

1 Like

They are the larva of the Harvest mite.

One of the bites was on my lip, below my nose, looked like I’d been in a scrap.

1 Like

I apply Jungle Formula to my skin before I work in the garden.

It seems to work.

This is the first time that I have heard of these creatures. I don’t know if they are in my garden, but makes me not want to go out there.

The best idea
Apparently they only bite in the larva stage which is in summer around harvest time ( hence the name ) .

I have never heard of chiggers either :shock: and just googled them. They look like tiny red spiders and I have certainly seen critters like them in the garden, whether they are chiggers or something else I don’t know. I got a bite on my ankle the other day, maybe it was a chigger bite, Antishan dealt with it :023:

Saw this link when I googled, shows various bug bites.

You’re not kidding.

1 Like

I believe the dogs can get bitten by these little critters if they run in the fields at harvest time too, can’t they?

Muddy, I get badly bitten every summer by anthing and everything outside. My Mum used to be the same. Blighters even get inside my clothing to get me.
It is thought it is something to do with your blood group I believe. The last 3 summers I have to get Penicillin quickly, as some bites swell alarmingly.

Anyway, this year I have finally found what works for me.
BiCarabonate of Soda. Soothes almost instantly.
Just get a tiny amount - about quarter/half a teaspoonful of the powder, mix literally a few drops of water to make it into a thick paste, and splatter it on the bite. Bliss.

It’s not a repellent, but it sure does soothe quickly after they’ve got you.
Give it a try and see how you get on - and good luck.

You certainly do & I am allergic to the nasty creatures & it’s only the females that bite & they fly silently so you don’t hear them coming.

I had never heard of chiggers either.

Horse fly bites hurt like hell!

1 Like

Thanks Mups :slight_smile:

Got chiggered again out in the garden dont they know it’s September ?
( chiggers are also known as August bugs )
Little beggars:(

It’s ants which attack Marge.
Strangely, they don’t seem to like me. :cry:

Well I never, I have not heard of these chigger things. Sounds horrible .

Mossys (mosquitoes) love me and gnats I’m always getting bit .

I must remember about bicard of soda too

They take chunks of flesh :pleading_face: