Geronimo facing euthanasia

Does make you wonder, not going to make a jot of difference to the outcome, doubt their reason for this unhelpful futile protest.

Well its 6pm on the Friday now…anyone know whats happened?

Nothing will be reported until after Defra have done the deed.

@PixieKnuckles
Geronimo still with us.

Developer of the tuberculosis test himself says it can’t be relied on in this case.

DEFRA cannot admit they might be killing a healthy animal and others.

1 Like

Thanks for this update! He’s becoming a bit of a poster boy for this TB situation. There’ll be a “Geronimo Law” brought in next! :open_mouth:

He does look cute, from his pov the only thing he is missing are the females.

Helen Macdonald, ’ We got a letter yesterday from the government legal department. I genuinely think they don’t know what to do, they don’t want to kill him.

'And they expect me to put down my own animal. I’m supposed to arrange his euthanasia and then say that the body will be available from ‘X’ time so they can come and collect it.

'Well I’m just not going to do that.

'They want me to kill him. The want to say that I consented, and they don’t want his blood on their hands.

'They’re trying to break me down. All of these extensions and faffing around is to wear down my mental state.

‘They’ve done it before, I got bullied and threatened and all sorts in 2017. In a two-month period he survived seven attempts to come and kill him.’

Asked if officials could break in to carry out the slaughter, Miss Macdonald added: 'The police will let them in, they have a warrant on access.

'If I kill him, I’ll need to agree to kill him with my vet.

‘But my vet won’t come as he’s worried about his own safety. How is it possible to kill a healthy animal in this environment?’

Must really love this fella, but is it worth all the stress.

1 Like

Yes, in a word. If it was ever in doubt that a healthy animal would be killed, then its worth every minute of hassle I think.

@PixieKnuckles
So you agree with her stance and would you take the same action to protect the animal.

I would if there was any doubt, yes. And if the animal was killed then found to be testing negative, there would be so much he££ to pay! I would be FURIOUS

That is the nub of the issue, if DEFRA put a heathy animal down, rather than accept there may be a flaw in the testing others will expect compensation for animals they have lost.

1 Like

Defra do not inspire trust in rural communities.

1 Like

I don’t imagine historical claims would be successful, but going forward, I think they will be more careful (or thorough) about testing and euthanasia…

1 Like

As far as bTB infected cattle are concerned, the farmers are already compensated for any that are euthanised because of TB so, IMO, there won’t be any historic claims.

Still it must be sad if you have built up a herd with bloodlines that have taken years to establish .

Very true but that’s not taken into account because how do/can you put a value on bloodline establishment?

Can horses get TB?

Good question, Cinders. Google came up with:

Horses are relatively resistant to tuberculosis caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis; however, they are susceptible to M bovis. When tuberculosis does develop, tuberculous, noncalcified lesions are often found in the liver, mesenteric lymph nodes, lungs, and other sites.

### Tuberculosis in Horses - Generalized Conditions - Veterinary …

Thanks, for that. led me to this. Wild deer are highly susceptible to TB infection. There is evidence that wild deer can be a reservoir of TB and can transmit TB both to other deer, and to cattle.

Wish I had not asked. :worried:

I just saw this…

Vet refuses to put Geronimo down for fear of reprisals