Gas boilers - how much are they?

Have you heard of the ‘Warm home scheme?’

The government are offering grants of up to £5,000 if you have an old energy deficient boiler.

You apply to your energy provider. In my case -E-on. They send a surveyor out to look at it & see if you qualify for the grant.

I am at the point where I’ve applied and waiting for surveyor to come.

Good advice Carol, I’d forgotten about that. :slight_smile:

Well you are talking double Dutch to me can you come and fit it for me :lol:

Depends on whether you have an existing combi LQ, that is, do you have a tank in the loft and a hot water cylinder, in which case to alter it will need the pipe work altering, if it’s just like for like with no , or very little plumbing , then it should be a bit cheaper, it will need a power flush as part of the guarantee and a mag filter fitted but your plumber should know this…

Remove existing boiler and flue.
Fit new baxi combi boiler and flue.
Fit new sludge filter.
Fit new inline scale reducer.
Fit timer.
10 year boiler manufactures warranty.
All gas safe notifications included.

It’s double Dutch to me as well. But that’s what he put on the paperwork, and that’s what I got … presumably.

We had a Worcester Bosch fitted three years ago, haven’t had a spot of bother with it since. We used to have a power shower with a powerful pump before the Bosch was fitted because the old system couldn’t generate enough pressure for a decent shower. The Bosch combi was so powerful and efficient it produces lashings of hot water with amazing pressure. I took the pump out of the power shower, didn’t need it. I can’t speak too highly of the Worcester Bosch, I was surprised how much money we saved on the bills. Only one problem Lion Queen, if Mrs Fox turns on the hot tap in the kitchen, the pressure drops in the shower and it runs cold…Brrrrrr

Our model is the Geenstar CDi Percy brilliant…:023:

I have a Combi boiler which provides hot water and heating on demand. Fitting this kind of boiler into a house which was built with a standard boiler and immersion heater system will mean your “on demand” hot water takes ages to arrive at the tap! It can take quite a while for hot water to come through the system - which was designed for a completely different heating system. On demand is not “instant” and running a bath can take an unreasonable amount of time.

Of course.

If I want a shower in our en suite bathroom, it is hot in under a minute as the boiler is in the garage right behind the bathroom.

On the other hand, in the kitchen at the other end of the house it can take several minutes to run hot.

I suppose if I took the trouble, I could go under the floor and lag all the hot water pipes from the boiler (they already are in the garage), but getting under the floor is a bit more difficult.

I have an electric shower, which is excellent and instant!

Good point Lindy, however, we live in a bungalow and the water to the kitchen tap is almost instant, but it’s a bit of a wait for hot water to arrive at the bathroom. We had the bath taken out so we could have a gynourmous shower.

I lagged all the pipes double thickness JB, and once water arrives at the bathroom it stays hot in the pipes for ages. Just one problem though…
I get the water hot in the shower and wash my hair, I then turn off the shower to soap up. When I turn the shower back on to rinse, I get an initial burst of hot water from the lagged pipes. But when the boiler kicks in, cold water fills the boiler and appears at the shower head for a few seconds…Brrrrrrrrr I grit my teeth and try to stay under the cold shower until it once again runs hot…Is that brave or what?..:cool:

But expensive and low pressure Lindy…:009:

And expensive! Electrical heating is always going to be more expensive than heating by gas.

On the other hand, due to pressure from the greenies, the government have been talking about withdrawing gas supplies so that we all have to use electricity, believe it or not!
They have played some silly tricks, but that’s got to be one of the most ridiculous.

I’ve no idea what heating system was in my house (also a bungalow orginally) when first built in the 60’s. When I moved in there was a broken gas-fired Aga in the kitchen which I was very happy to get rid of. But the pipes seem to go all around the house - the new boiler is in the garage and the heating system has been connected to the original pipes. I’m used to it now and it doesn’t bother me…cold shower would bother me a lot!!

The electric shower isn’t overly expensive and the hot water is instant.

I’ve got one quote and 2 quotes tomorrow. My friends mum had a new boiler and 9 gas central heating units put in with some other work and it was just over 5000 quid, I’m waiting to hear from him who did that job, the cost incuded fitting and everything. We are only going to replace the boiler though, can’t really afford the heaters replacing too right now

That’s a lot! Were they gold-plated?

Do you think? For 9 radiators fitting as well as the boiler and something else but I forgot what the something else was. Oh and it needed new pipework

Your choice, of course, but I’d rather wait for a minute or two and pay a lot less.

While you’re waiting you could be taking off your clothes! :lol:

When you say ‘gas central heating units’ do you mean radiators?

Ah, I see you mentioned that later!

I think if all the pipework is included it might be a reasonable price. Let’s see if better qualified members than I can advise you better.

I paid £2500 ten years ago for a new boiler, various pipework (but not full replacement), one new radiator and removal of the old Aga. In today’s money that’s £3375.
Maybe get more quotes and recommendations? Good luck anyway.