Gas boilers - how much are they?

our gas boiler is still working OK but we think it will soon be time to replace it.

Has anyone here has a new one recently if so how much did you pay, where did you find the best deal please

1 Like

A lot of it will depend on how big a boiler you will need, we recently had a new Baxi combi fitted (10 year guarantee) by our local plumber for just under two grand, but British Gas quoted nearly double that, so always get a couple of quotes and ideally three, so that you can get a good comparison before deciding.

We had an old Worcester-Bosch boiler which must have been here long before we moved here over ten years ago, as it was well out of its warranty.
It worked, but we kept having the occasional problem.

Fortunately, we had taken out a service and maintenance contract with a local heating firm who we kept calling out. They kept replacing parts without any additional charge, of course, so I think we got our moneyā€™s worth!

Two or three years ago, we got a new boiler from W-B and this has worked perfectly. Itā€™s still under warranty.
As for which brand of boiler to go for, I couldnā€™t possibly say. I did have a look for recommendations on the plumbing & heating section of a web site (I canā€™t post a link here, but it is called DiYnot) and all I could gain from that was that every heating engineer seemed to like different brands of boiler!

Hi

Very sensible advice Barry.

I am replacing mine soon, using the Gas Lass, a local Plumber

She is cheap, good, clean and tidyā€¦

Always better using the local tradespeople Lion Queen. We had a Worcester Bosch fitted by the local gas bloke, not only is he a runnerā€¦:smiley: But he only lives around the corner. He comes out once a year to service said boiler for a reasonable price.
Just make sure they are ā€˜Gas Safeā€™ registeredā€¦:wink:

Lion Queen, You might want to consider buying a ā€œon demandā€ tankless, style water heater.
How does that work? It hangs on the wall and heats water only when a hot water tap is turned on. No demand, no heating. So there can be a big savings in gas bill. There is no sense heating water when you are not even home. Like when you go to the coast for a 3-day week-end.
also this type is very, very much cheaper than the old style water heater that keeps water hot 24/7 even if there is no demand.
one caution, however. Donā€™t buy the cheapest style. It will not give great performance. Do a little investigation and chose one that will put out all the hot water for your homeā€™s needs.

I remember our having one of those when I was a child. ā€˜Ascotā€™ was the brand. Of course, it didnā€™t provide central heating as well, and Iā€™m pretty sure it couldnā€™t cope with running a bath!

Iā€™d suggest that a better option is the system we have. Itā€™s a closed system without a hot water tank or an immersion heater.
The boiler comes on when the room thermostat falls below a set level.
Hot water is provided on demand so if the heating isnā€™t on the boiler doesnā€™t turn on until you turn on the hot tap.

They have much improved styles now. Not like the old days.
Of course, a tankless water heater DOES NOT provide any central heating. That is the job of a furnace. If Lion Queen has the very old style of radiators, then she needs more than I suggested.

I asked my plumber an approximate cost of a new Vaillant combi when he was servicing mine in December, and he said probably between Ā£2,000 - Ā£3,000, but that wasnā€™t a firm quote, just an estimated one at the time.

What you are describing we call a Combi (combination) boiler. The new modern ones heat the domestic water as demand dictates such as you describe, but they also heat the central heating too, and very efficiently may I add :smiley:

Oh yes, of course they have improved.

Iā€™m not sure what you mean by the ā€˜very old styleā€™ of radiators, though. The most modern heating systems over here including, as Barry says, a combi boiler can make use of the same radiators as other systems.

Same here Barry ā€¦

Remove existing boiler and flue.
Fit new baxi combi boiler and flue.
Fit new sludge filter.
Fit new inline scale reducer.
Fit timer.
10 year boiler manufactures warranty.
All gas safe notifications included.

Ā£1850 ā€¦ Word of mouth recommendation locally.

We had a new Worcester Bosch combi boiler installed in the first apartment we bought in Worcester. Then, when we moved to the second apartment, we had another Worcester Bosch installed *. Both worked extremely well and had the added advantage of coming complete with separate controls, which allowed us to programme the CH as and when we chose. This bungalow had a new Ideal combi boiler installed last year and itā€™s not a patch on the WBs we had in the past although it works OK.

Have you heard of the ā€˜Warm home scheme?ā€™

The government are offering grants of up to Ā£5,000 if you have an old energy deficient boiler.

You apply to your energy provider. In my case -E-on. They send a surveyor out to look at it & see if you qualify for the grant.

I am at the point where Iā€™ve applied and waiting for surveyor to come.

Good advice Carol, Iā€™d forgotten about that. :slight_smile:

Well you are talking double Dutch to me can you come and fit it for me :lol:

Depends on whether you have an existing combi LQ, that is, do you have a tank in the loft and a hot water cylinder, in which case to alter it will need the pipe work altering, if itā€™s just like for like with no , or very little plumbing , then it should be a bit cheaper, it will need a power flush as part of the guarantee and a mag filter fitted but your plumber should know thisā€¦

Remove existing boiler and flue.
Fit new baxi combi boiler and flue.
Fit new sludge filter.
Fit new inline scale reducer.
Fit timer.
10 year boiler manufactures warranty.
All gas safe notifications included.

Itā€™s double Dutch to me as well. But thatā€™s what he put on the paperwork, and thatā€™s what I got ā€¦ presumably.

We had a Worcester Bosch fitted three years ago, havenā€™t had a spot of bother with it since. We used to have a power shower with a powerful pump before the Bosch was fitted because the old system couldnā€™t generate enough pressure for a decent shower. The Bosch combi was so powerful and efficient it produces lashings of hot water with amazing pressure. I took the pump out of the power shower, didnā€™t need it. I canā€™t speak too highly of the Worcester Bosch, I was surprised how much money we saved on the bills. Only one problem Lion Queen, if Mrs Fox turns on the hot tap in the kitchen, the pressure drops in the shower and it runs coldā€¦Brrrrrr

Our model is the Geenstar CDi Percy brilliantā€¦:023:

I have a Combi boiler which provides hot water and heating on demand. Fitting this kind of boiler into a house which was built with a standard boiler and immersion heater system will mean your ā€œon demandā€ hot water takes ages to arrive at the tap! It can take quite a while for hot water to come through the system - which was designed for a completely different heating system. On demand is not ā€œinstantā€ and running a bath can take an unreasonable amount of time.