Garlic has done well this year

I have had a great crop of garlic this year, I have given some away and the rest will keep me going till Christmas :slight_smile:

I was worried after the Allium leaf fly ruined last years crop and the leeks but I seem to have avoided them this year I think the late frost must have got to them…

Very nice crop. Hows the taste compared to store bought? I’m thinking much better.

Garlic is expensive here in Canada and I have thought about growing it. Do you just plant the individual bulbs?

Looks good, Meg, well done! :023:

A great crop there Meg, well done! :slight_smile:

Thanks Plankton :slight_smile: taste depends on the variety and age of the garlic . Better than any shop bought usually

Hi Ally:-) garlic is easy to grow you can even grow it in tubs , I buy from a good supplier and plant in raised beds the autumn for harvest the following summer .

Thanks Pixie :slight_smile:

Thanks Mags :slight_smile: no vampires here…:slight_smile:

Meg, is there much difference between growing the hard neck or soft?
I think the hardneck is supposed to keep longer isn’t it?

You’ve sure got a nice lot there. How do you store it to stop it going soft?

Hi Mups :slight_smile: this lot is Solent Wight and soft neck. Not the biggest but a lovely flavour .

For keeping I lift/leave some root and stem on/hang loosely on the washing line when it is a dry day/ plait when the leaves turn from green to brown and hang the plaits in my well ventilated garage .I can then snip a head at a time with the scissors as required.
I have usually eaten it all by February so don’t need it to keep any longer.

I order now for October delivery and planting , I buy two heads normally 22 cloves but one head was rotton on arrival last year so they sent 2 more heads not one so I had about 35 heads this year .

I have tried hard neck and liked having the ‘scapes’ but I used the tops of soft neck from spring onwards anyway with no ill effects to the plants.
I found no difference in keeping ability.

Meg, l am impressed! The ones l grew, died prematurely.

I wish they hadn’t as l am fed up with visiting shops and all the garlic, states… Produced in China.

No Thank You!!

That’s sad Art …
I am pretty impressed myself after last years grub infested failure …
Try growing some again with British Bulbs…:frowning:

And I’m sitting over here thinking garlic was just garlic! :smiley: Interesting to learn about the different varieties…hopefully when I get to planting some, it’ll work this time around!

Good luck Pixie :slight_smile: soon be time for planting this year .

Meg, l have grown garlic from bulb garlic that l purchased from a garden centre. I presume it was British?

I meant, the garlic l purchase from the supermarkets for immediate culinary use, are usually from China.
Waitrose and M&S garlic aren’t but Tesco and Asda’s garlic are.

I don’t know Art …

I meant, the garlic l purchase from the supermarkets for immediate culinary use, are usually from China.
Waitrose and M&S garlic aren’t but Tesco and Asda’s garlic are.
I think the last garlic I bought from Waitrose when mine ran out was Spanish and it wasn’t very nice a bit brown.

Sainsbury’s are selling Spanish garlic - but it is far too mild for my taste. Asda and Tesco are offering Chinese - which I won’t touch. Heading for York tomorrow and will go to my favourite Italian deli and buy garlic there - it is always top quality and delicious! Maybe come Autumn I will try and grow my own.

Yes, I think that’s the way to go I[/I]…so many people prefer homegrown garlic!

You should give it a go ST :slight_smile: it is so easy to grow .