Garden Pots ,Ornaments and Solar Lights

Do you take all of yours in?..as above topic.

I have taken all of mine in this year, washed everything and will store in the loft.

My friend gave me the garden lantern, God willing, I will paint it next year and do a few repairs on it, she was going to throw it out.

I’ve also taken my garden table and chairs indoors…

Hi

No, I leave them all outside and cover the table chairs and BBQ

I leave the solar lights on and out side, I like some colour outside in winter

1 Like

I’ll leave my little solar light bulbs out all year they still glow faintly in the winter, I love them , my garden is so pretty all year

1 Like

I have left solar lights out all winter, come the following year, a lot of them didn’t work…so I’m bringing most of them in this year.:+1:

1 Like

At the moment I don’t have any but they are designed to fail. You can make them last longer by shorting out the unnecessary switch and at least covering the battery connections with loads of Vaseline to keep the water out. A bead of silicon or hot melt glue to seal the joint between the case and the solar panel helps too,

It’s the water getting in that kills them, they are not made waterproof

I leave ours 24/7. If they fail, they fail.

2 Likes

Solar lighting they all fail eventually .
My lights have to take their chance out in the garden 24/7

1 Like

Unfortunately, quite a few people don’t realise, that it’s the batteries that fail, some either need changing or charging.

I’ve had some solar lights for years…

Others have failed miserably, even after changing the batteries, those are usually the cheap ones.

1 Like

I have a water feature that I put in the garage in winter, it gets a good clean and a new paint job, and in summer birds drink from it and have a bath in it, the water is pumped around by solar slowly.

1 Like

Mine are rechargeable. I thought all were. Sure, you can replace them if they fail but, so far, none have done so here.

I have taken most of my solar lights in this year, they get filthy as well, being left out in the elements, I know you can leave them out, I just like to give them all a good clean, all ready for next summer,:+1:

I take in my tender patio pot plants before the first frosts.
I don’t have a greenhouse but I try to overwinter them in my garage on a potting bench near the garage window for a bit of light - my success is hit and miss - I managed to overwinter my favourite geraniums and French Lavenders last winter.

When it comes to outdoor lighting, I do the opposite - I don’t have lights out in Summer but I like to weave some lights around the tree branches in the Winter, when the evenings start drawing in dark. I find it cheery to see a few glimmers of light among the bare Winter branches on a dark night.

I have quite a few patio lanterns, similar to the one in your photo - they were all gifts - to be honest, I hardly ever use them.
They live in a cupboard in the garage most of the time and I only get them out if I have guests and we may be still sitting outside in the evening when it’s getting dusk - which is not very often - ‘oop here in the chilly North East, I tend to come indoors when the sun goes down. Bbbrrrr!

Oh, I do take the water pump out of my pebble fountain before the frosts arrive and give it a good clean and store it in the garage to prevent frost damage.

Otherwise, my garden is set up to fend for itself through the Winter -
As the poet Robert Frost famously wrote
“ Keep cold, young orchard. Good-bye and keep cold.”

I have recently started to grow some herbs I bought already planted, what’s the best way to look after them over the winter should I look at covering them up ?