Future Energy Price Rises

Sorry to disillusion you, but I’ve seen many petitions which have had 200,000 signatures. All that happens is that the government, or their civil service representatives, provide some ‘persuasive’ reason why they cannot ‘on this occasion’ provide whatever is being requested.

Of course, I’m all in favour of reducing energy bills, be it for older people or all of us, but I’m afraid that I’d never trust the authorities to listen to ‘the little people’ like us.
I still hope for the best outcome, but don’t be too disappointed.

Only time will tell, JBR. But at least those who have signed, have tried to help the people who are doing their best to help us. They cannot do it without our support.

2 Likes

:zipper_mouth_face: :zipper_mouth_face: :zipper_mouth_face: :zipper_mouth_face: :zipper_mouth_face: :zipper_mouth_face:!
273696756_1335638513516205_3927248154685614692_n

3 Likes

This is reminiscent of what we used to hear about the USSR. The dictators living in style whilst their people lived in abject poverty, and we here used to feel so sorry for them believing that we had the good fortune to live in an egalitarian society.

I suppose there will always be the ‘haves’ and the ‘have nots’.

1 Like

Just got my projected annual cost for gas and electric from April 1st from OVO. It is going up to £897 from £609.

I’d rejoice at that price, Scot.
Starting 1st March my new contract is slightly more than double that!
I don’t know how some people are going to manage now.

3 Likes

If ours goes up much more I’m going to turn off our central heating and use our log burner on an evening instead, though we’d still use the boiler for hot water. It might be cheaper that way.

2 Likes

Hi

We have a failed system, market forces with no storage.

We are the only European Nation which has done this.

Good old Boris, some say! :roll_eyes:

My nearest daughter (also my youngest) has a boiler built into her log burner and she finds that is suffices for medium amounts of very warm water throughout the day and just enough for I bath each evening. . OR the diverter valve will direct the water flow to radiators. It can serve both in the mid position, but that requires far more wood than in single mode.

1 Like

Does she save money by burning wood as opposed to gas?

I suppose the answer must depend on whether you can source your own wood or have to buy it.

1 Like

She does indeed save money. Some of her wood she buys as a manufactured long burning product (I don’t know names) and other wood comes from her ex as part of project-anti-ear-bashing from their two adult children :wink: He runs a flooring contractors, so a huge amount of offcuts are dropped of to my daughter throughout the year.

That’s encouraging. I use kiln dried logs, which are readily available and only a few pounds for a bag. I should try to work out how much heat and for how long I can get for a given price and compare that to the price I pay for gas for a similar length of time.

1 Like

Where do the suppliers of all this wood get it from, anyone know?

In the future, are we again going to hear of all the forests being chopped down and killing the wildlife?

Do they have to replant areas where the trees have been destroyed wonder?

I’m pretty sure that they must be obliged to replant the trees they make use of.
Unless, of course, they get the wood from America.

We have hundreds of trees flattened around here in the recent gales.

But 3 gales in 5 days are very rare, Scott.

Where does the wood come from normaly is what I meant.

1 Like

Trees!

1 Like

My daughter’s local sustainable supplier is just a stone’s throw from the Weald & Downland Museum. Explore The Weald & Downland Living Museum in Chichester (wealddown.co.uk)
Hardwood Logs - The Sustainable Journey from Forest to Fire

Hah. Smarty pants. :wink: