Friends or Family, In a Trade? Do you do "Tit For Tat"?

It must be great, when you have one., or more, skilled Tradesmen in your Family, or as close Friends.

I have some, and, recently, had help with fixing blown off tiles, fencing, and such.

You can’t pay them without paying tax, legally, but how about sharing your skills, with them, and they share their skills with you?

Can that work?

:man_superhero:

My brother is a master carpenter but since he retired has not so much as lifted a hammer and has no intention of doing so . It was never something he really loved doing .

It’s OK as long as it works out even stevens but resentment can build up if one sides got nothing to give back and just use friends and family as a free service

My old man’s in the building trade and he’d help anyone out but some people get cheeky

And my son’s a techie and people do expect him to fix their computer problems

As a rough guide, if it’s something you’d usually pay for and there’s no favour you can do for them back in the near future, then I think you should pay them, tax not withstanding!

2 Likes

I have recently drawn up some plans for a pair of semi’s for my builder and they were passed 1st submission. He did some work on a couple of properties for me without money changing hands, if that is what you mean.

1 Like

I used to belong to a skill share group. We offered our skills / effort for credits, not cash. So, for example, I might offer some gardening or hypnosis to say Sue & get a massage or some sewing done in return by Kate, or Terry.

It was a community & we could only draw once we had put in. But it worked for me & many others.

1 Like