Fresh, frozen or canned (tinned) - which is more nutritious?

I remember the stories from my grandparents. Everything needing preserved was involving copious amounts of salt.

Meat curing; brine for seafood and added vinegar for pickling.

Results? High blood pressure for loads involved in the eating of these products. Just bit of history.

So with the advancement of freezing which means longer conservation without added salts, means lesser risks of HB.

As I take after my father, even though I’m a girl, I have low blood pressure. I tend to shoot back up to normal with beneficial natural salts. But the years I ingested this excessive brine weren’t beneficial either.

It created a horrible yo-yo dieting and crazy blood pressure all over the map. Once I got engaged and began new food management with hubby, things drastically improved.

Just FYI :thinking:

Well then, thank goodness I didn’t include commentary on additives :107:

I enjoy tinned solid Tuna in Brine, baked beans in tomato sauce and tinned chickpeas (on occasion).

You know the saying, no risk - no reward :023:

1 Like

Ah… chickpeas, I do enjoy making my own hummus from time to time.

I dread to think of what horrors might lurk in a jar of tahini paste…may as well sign my own death warrant :wink:

1 Like

Now, now don’t be overly dramatic :077:
I use bottled pastes as well!
We were talking tins :069:

1 Like

Sorry… it’s probably all those additives , sent me a bit hyper!

:044: hopefully there’s a cure!

1 Like

And ruin all my fun?
I fear we are veering off topic :018:

Sound advice :wink:

watneys-original-party-seven-600-409x540 (1)

It’s a great idea! In London you often see tiny basement courtyards with just enough light to set up a little herb plot :smiley:

Freezing doesn’t kill enzymes (but as per my post, it changes the protein structure). Enzymes de-nature/die over time, hence why I said if you drink fruit juice it should always be freshly squeezed :smiley:

I’d rather take my chances with nature Annie - rather than corporations who’s primary goal is to screw as much money out of us as they can. I wouldn’t trust them as far as I could throw them! :lol:

I use natural salt - I think fermenting foods is great :smiley:

We eat mainly fresh as we have a lot of little stalls dotted outside peoples houses around here and the quality is excellent.

I always have tinned tomatoes, baked beans and mushy peas in though and if there are good bargains in the supermarket on frozen veg then I buy some.

2 Likes

Do you remember that old method where a hole was punched in both ends of a raw egg and the contents sucked out.?

Maybe a hole at each end of a tin if you’re a strong enough / big enough sucker ?? :innocent: :grin:

Well as they say “All things in moderation - and that includes moderation”
Over indulgence of orange juice is not without its problems - especially if it doesn’t come directly from the real fruit.
Sugar levels of juices are often ‘riddled’ with unnecessary sugar & not from the fruit,

And in fact the Australian CSIRO research laboratories are currently studying ways to also MARKEDLY reduce sugar levels - something which could benefit the health of many other countries too.

I have two unconnected friends who are dentists. They both throw up their hands in horror when they see people drinking fresh fruit juice. They say all fruit juice is dreadful for teeth.

2 Likes

Yes it’s good to dilute pure juice.
I buy nearly all my vegetables frozen after seeing a tv programme where food nutritionists said how much more of the goodness was retained.

1 Like

Some of the fresh veg isn’t that fresh, like broccoli so i buy the frozen. Frozen peas and chips, it’s better to buy frozen than fresh because they freeze it straight away. I’ve tried tinned carrots and peas but don’t taste as nice but still nutritionaly good. I always buy fresh carrots and cabbage.
My son always have to buy tinned because no room for a big freezer.

1 Like

Yep, I’ve heard the same. When my son was little I’d always make sure he’d have his fresh orange juice with breakfast before cleaning his teeth and shortly before bedtime, once again just before brushing

The longevity of some root vegetables is something that I was delighted to discover during lockdown - carrots last months in the fridge and so do brussel sprouts and potatoes. We had to keep some things such as tomatoes and lettuce on the counter as there wasn’t room. You can put gem lettuce in a cup of water like flowers and it doesn’t wilt.

There are all sorts of online hacks on how to keep fruit and veggies fresh in the fridge for weeks. They involve cling film and vinegar. I haven’t tried those. There is one that is meant to work which is to put any herbs you buy into pots of water like flowers in a vase again but in the fridge. Wrapping stalks of veg such as broccoli or asparagus in wet kitchen roll is meant to work too.

By the way carrots - I’m interested as to whether anyone buys into the Jamie Oliver school of thought that the skin of the carrot is worth leaving on? My own view is that this makes the carrots taste disgusting and difficult to digest. It seems to appeal to the men in my life and I have a sneaking suspicion this is an excuse to hide laziness.

2 Likes

I do keep the skins on carrots if I’m going to mash them with the potatoes on my plate, have to wash them well because they tend to have a bit of grit on the skin. The goodness is just under the skin, like potatoes that i always leave the skin on.

2 Likes

Brings back memories of when i left home and tried to make a first meal in in my own kitchen. Discovering i hadn’t bought a tin opener, and as it was the early 80’s, no handy ring pull cans, a hammer and chisel seemed a good idea to open my tempting can of beans.
But then i had the bright idea of borrowing a tin opener from my neighbour!

I don’t know how fresh food compares to tinned when it comes to nutrition, but for me, fresh wins for taste and texture.

2 Likes

I dont drink any form of milk , since i got made to drink the school milk in my primary school
Warm and yuk !!