Fresh, frozen or canned (tinned) - which is more nutritious?

People often think that fresh food is the most nutritious. That can be true but only if they live on a farm or close to one. For most people who buy supermarket food that has to survive transportation and shelf life, frozen and canned (tinned) food can be just as nutritious, if not more so.

Frozen and canned (tinned) food are picked at the height of ripeness, locking in more nutrition. Then the cold or heat destroys some nutrients.

Fresh food that goes to supermarkets are often picked before it’s ripe, and the nutritional value degrades quickly as it sits on the shelf.

Studies show that fresh, frozen and canned (tinned) food can be just as nutritious, depending on how it’s handled.

https://www.acsh.org/news/2022/07/18/fresh-canned-or-frozen-which-better-16429

2 Likes

Tinned food isn’t very nutritious if you haven’t got a Can Opener :smiley:

8 Likes

Ring pulls, my dear, ring pulls :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

As long as it’s not got added salt or sugar, tinned is healthy

It’s good to donate to the Foodbank too because it keeps without a fridge and you can eat it cold if you’ve got no money for fuel

2 Likes

Be very careful of others pulling your ring. image

1 Like

Ring pulls are fine until they come off.
Frozen veg is as good as fresh imo,supermarkets keep loads of veg,fruit and salads in a fridge for weeks,hence the foods go bad within days.

4 Likes

Personally, I’d have to say hands down, it’s frozen. Iceland UK is my go-to for frozen foods this past year.

It’s fast frozen while freshly prepared and the savings are a bargain. Less additives and preservatives, fresher tasting.

I get ready meals, frozen ingredients aka regular staples such as onions, brocoli florets, chips, mashed potatoes and more. For around ÂŁ90 we got 3 months worth of meals. Got a steamer set, throw frozen vegetables, 20 minutes plus a butter sauce, fresh veggies. Perfect!

Speaking of frozen items, I sincerely wish the UK would create or adopt the frozen concentrated orange juice. The cans I used to get out the shops were an easy storage option. Open can, add 2, 4 or 8 dans of cold water depending on can sizes made it so easy and an inexpensive solution to having OJ everyday!

2 Likes

I went looking for this online. Couldn’t find much except one comment about Robinson’s that doesn’t fit the bill. Then a couple comments about how unhealthy it is since it’s common in the US.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskUK/comments/yvwys0/can_you_still_buy_frozen_orange_juice_concentrate/

I’m sure tinned is nutritious but my concern is the added sodium/sugar/ preservatives since most tins contain a certain amount of the one or the other.

For me, it’s usually fresh foods on the menu. I typically follow a low carb diet for health reasons which consists of little to no sugar and low carb foods including nut breads.

I use frozen veggies in stews but that’s about it.

1 Like

I happened on them once on a contract in Canada. They had good reputation and reviews. It was useful. Had a young family then. Getting vitamins was crucial.

Sorry they were handy and Loblaws was close by :upside_down_face:

Frozen and tinned, tinned it has to be reduced salt and sugar and the fruit in fruit juice and not syrup,as others have said fresh isn’t as good unless you grow it yourself.

2 Likes

I suppose it’s about compromise, I can be quite lavish with the salt on occasions but I don’t use it on a daily basis.

As for preservatives, far too scientific for me, I’ll just have to risk it, life is too short

Oh the irony :wink:

1 Like

I don’t have the science to back up but I do believe that frozen and tinned foods (as well as pickled etc) go through a chemical reaction which may not affect the nutritional content, it may in fact increase it, but it also creates changes to structure that could affect your body in a negative way vs fresh.

I do know from whatever research that when you cook foods the chemical structure changes. The cooking process and type of cooking (baking, grilling, stewing, steaming) will determine the type of change. But some changes are less favourable for our bodies. Eg. baking some starches inc potatoes creates a chemical that isn’t so good for us (the discussion about whether fries should be white or beige etc, the discussion about whether your BBQ meat should be charred black).

So this is a big topic.

Fresh every time :smiley:

Freezing changes the protein structure - I avoid frozen foods.

Fresh food also contains important enzymes, this is why it’s important that if you drink any fruit juice it is always freshly squeezed :023:

2 Likes

I have to give that a like Azz.

Although isn’t it just a tad idealistic?
I just can’t imagine people living on the breadline or using food banks engaging with that way of thinking however worthy it might be?

1 Like

It is the ideal yes, and people have to do what 's right for them. (I don’t go out clubbing, smoke, or jet set around the world and instead prefer to prioritise spending what I can on the best food I can afford - everyone’s different tho I guess.)

Are allotments still a thing? Bit of hard work I know, but could be an option for some…

1 Like

I’m with you, I really am .
Not being a jet setter myself, hopefully a few days on The Isle of Wight during the summer :sun_with_face:

There are allotments available in West Sussex although I gather there’s one hell of a waiting list alas!

I might have to stick with my mustard and cress on the kitchen windowsill :wink:

1 Like

It’s not the most scientific study or reputable source. I’ll post if I find out more.

1 Like

There are pluses and minuses Azz. For example you have to think about oxalic acid too & the interaction with calcium. In terms of fruit juice - acid, sugar content. Like I said, this is a big topic.

My own view is that you should find the diet that works for you. Processed food isn’t great to eat as your sole diet. But also don’t assume that all fresh food is perfect.

1 Like

I remember the stories from my grandparents. Everything needing preserved was involving copious amounts of salt.

Meat curing; brine for seafood and added vinegar for pickling.

Results? High blood pressure for loads involved in the eating of these products. Just bit of history.

So with the advancement of freezing which means longer conservation without added salts, means lesser risks of HB.

As I take after my father, even though I’m a girl, I have low blood pressure. I tend to shoot back up to normal with beneficial natural salts. But the years I ingested this excessive brine weren’t beneficial either.

It created a horrible yo-yo dieting and crazy blood pressure all over the map. Once I got engaged and began new food management with hubby, things drastically improved.

Just FYI :thinking: