France planning managed end of life

This will be interesting to track. All western countries have this challenge - how do treat people who are terminally ill, or suffering greatly in a humane and dignified way? The UK has resisted this change even when challenged in the courts. The balance of thinking currently appears to be that length of life is more important than quality of living.

More rioting and spontaneous burning of shops and property in response to that.

Hi

Care costs are very expensive, there is no simple system and it is a postcode lottery.

They will take as much of your assets as they can and your inheritance for your children can be negligible.

It is something you must plan for.

1 Like

I suppose that’s one of the concerns, though?

That terminally ill people might feel an obligation and under pressure to end their lives before they’re ready so as not to be a burden and spend their assets?

Assisted Dying is legal in Australia and was long overdue

Assisted Dying legislation has been passed in all Australian States and the current federal government removed the clause (imposed by the Howard Government) that overrode the NTs assisted dying legislation. (see Last Cab to Darwin)

I think NSW was the last state to pass such legislation, the NT was the first I believe. I am very surprised to hear that the UK does not have similar legislation.

My sister in law died yesterday after a terrible battle with cancer which was so traumatic for her especially and for all the family too …she had had enough and was refusing treatment she just wanted peace and to slip away…Im so sorry there was no assistance for her to do that if there were I’m sure she would have taken it probably months ago…instead what a terrible time she had. Im all for assisted dying

4 Likes