France bans plastic wrapping for veg

France will ban plastic wrapping for some vegetables from January 2022
I think this is a good thing .

2 Likes

I agree! We should do that here too. :+1:

3 Likes

Me too, an excellent idea. I’ve made myself some very lightweight drawstring produce bags out of old voile curtains and use them when I go to the farmers market or the supermarket They don’t weigh enough to make any difference when you weigh stuff at the checkout
Not sure how it would work out for home deliveries but they could just put the stuff loose in the delivery crate I supposr

1 Like

Mother Nature has provided most fruit and veg with very effective packaging if you ask me.

3 Likes

Good we should do the same.

1 Like

Sainsbury’s, Tesco and morissons have done away with a lot of plastic wrapping and Sainsbury’s have stopped their one use plastic bags to put fruit and veg in. Have re usable bags that can be washed.

I never buy anything sealed in plastic bags or in plastic bottles. When I put up my Sainsbury’s order for fruit and yeg - I specify loose produce. When it is delivered - fruit and veg arrive in open plastic carrier bags - as they will only have been there for the time it takes from shop to here - a distance of 1 x mile - I can live with that, and reuse the carrier bags as pedal bin liners. I take mesh bags with me when out shopping myself - in the market etc.,

1 Like

Do Sainsbury still deliver in carrier bags, then? Ocado do too but Tesco’s don’t any more, it just arrives in the delivery trays and I have some bags for life ready and unload it from the trays into them They do put some things in brown paper bags

Once you get in the mesh bag habit it works very well, I think

3 Likes

Our tesco still has loads of plastic bags for loose fruit and veg. I never use it I just weigh them, scan them and put them in my bag.

1 Like

When I got an online shopping from Asda, they had open trays lined with sheets of clear plastic wrapping…quite how this is environmentally friendly I do not know, but…at least they try and appear so…:woman_shrugging:

1 Like

We’ve only had 2 home deliveries and that’s when it first started. Hubby prefers to go to the supermarket that way can get them on offer, so we don’t know what bags they’re in.
Still have to have some things in plastic wrap or go without or its more expensive to buy loose.

My local large Tesco stopped supplying plastic bags for loose fruit & veg some time ago and provided paper instead, but recently, they went over to corn starch bags because the paper type were not robust enough.

2 Likes

I do my shopping at Tesco, and while I would be in favour of their doing away with plastic wrapping, I think their first priority should be to do away with the plastic food that they put inside the plastic wrapping.

3 Likes

Only the loose fruit and veg - everything else is on trays. I have those folding crate thingys ready to transfer when the delivery arrives.

1 Like

Hi

It is about time we did the same.

1 Like