Foyle’s War actress claims she was forced to drink and drive to avoid threesome

Foyle’s War actress Honeysuckle Weeks has been banned from driving after claiming she was forced to get behind the wheel while drunk to avoid being coerced into a threesome.

The 43-year-old was more than twice the legal limit when she reversed into a parked car in Arundel, West Sussex and then drove off.

She was arrested after an off-duty police officer witnessed the incident and stopped her Honda CR-V SUV.

Appearing before Worthing Magistrates’ Court, the Oxford-educated actress admitted drink driving but said she had been trying to escape a situation where she feared she would be coerced into having sex.

Mathew Howell, prosecuting, said: “On Monday, November 28 last year at approximately 7.20pm, the defendant was driving her vehicle in Arundel when she was seen to reverse into a parked car on the street. The defendant drove off from the scene before returning 15 seconds later. The vehicle was stopped and the police officer realised the driver was drunk.”

Ms Weeks, who was wearing a tweed checked jacket, brown trousers, a grey polo neck jersey and brown boots, told magistrates she had been out drinking with friends on November 28 last year and had been invited to stay over for the night. But she said her friend had also invited his lover to stay over and she feared she would be coerced into a threesome.

Following her arrest tests showed Ms Weeks had 78 micrograms in 100 millilitres of breath - the legal limit is 35 micrograms.

The actress, who has also appeared in episodes of Death in Paradise and Midsomer Murders (1), pleaded guilty to a single charge of drink driving but asked for leniency explaining she needed her car in order to take her son to school every day. Ms Weeks also told the court she did not have a steady income at the moment and was only receiving Universal Credit.

Magistrates banned her from driving for 20 months and fined her £120 with £85 costs and a victim surcharge of £48. She agreed to undertake a drink driving awareness course which would reduce her driving ban by 20 weeks, meaning she could get her licence back in April 2024.

In 2015 Ms Weeks, who was educated at Roedean independent school in Brighton before reading English at Pembroke College, Oxford, was ordered to wear an electronic tag after being caught speeding while banned from driving.

In July the following year, Sussex Police issued an appeal after Ms Weeks disappeared. She was later found safe and well and returned home.

In 2005 she married hypnotherapist, Lorne Stormonth-Darling, in a Buddhist ceremony in the Himalayas followed by a more traditional wedding in London in 2007 and the couple had one son.

I’ve been a fan of Honeysuckle Weeks (and her very pretty sister Perdita) since their appearance in “Goggle Eyes” (1993) which starred Alun Armstrong and the lovely Lesley Manville. It wasn’t the sort of thing that I’d normally watch but the “stars” drew me in and Honeysuckle’s “performance” was amazing for such a young girl.

She’s had a long career but never achieved “stardom” and she seems to have “problems” … :slightly_frowning_face:

A lot of “Lovies” have problems, it’s where the inspiration comes from!

The word NO springs to mind.
What a pathetic excuse to use for drink driving,shame she didnt say no to the dronks.
I have never watched Foyle`s War.

She lives not far from me so we kinda know her lowdown. I think her last spell in the funny-farm might have turned her mind so I was surprised she was back driving, although marrying into money (landed gentry) probably gave her an inner feeling of self entitlement.

she had a great role in Foyles War and played it well - I assumed she would go further but apparently not?

1 Like

It’s a mystery … :017:

After “Goggle-Eyes”, Honeysuckle was on TV regularly, appearing in a number of Ruth Rendell adaptations, such as “A Dark-Adapted Eye”(1994) plus castings in “The Bill”, “The Rag Nymph”, “The Wild House”, “Close Relations” and “Midsomer Murders” before landing the plum part of Samantha Stewart in “Foyle’s War”. She starred in every episode of all eight series, which were broadcast between 2002 and 2015. (1)

Honeysuckle played parts in other TV presentations during and after “Foyle’s War” but then personal events, including speeding and going AWOL, seemed to overtake her career until 2018, when she re-appeared sporadically on stage and TV.

(1) I hadn’t realised that “Foyle’s War” was such a long series - maybe Honeysuckle lost some of her enthusiasm … :thinking:

28 Nov 2023

Honeysuckle Weeks is in mourning following the sad death of her ex-husband Lorne Stormonth Darling at 60.

The Foyle’s War star, 44, tied the knot with the aristocratic hypnotherapist husband back in 2005, but their love story wasn’t to last. Despite their failed marriage, the pair remained friendly and Honeysuckle is believed to be in deep grieving following the sad news of Lorne’s death.

The former couple enjoyed a Buddhist wedding ceremony in 2005 while on holiday in the Himalayas but they opted for another wedding in Barlavington, West Sussex, in 2007. Four years after tying the knot, the couple welcomed their son, Wade but they ended their relationship in 2019. At the time, Honeysuckle posted a video of a sign bearing the initials L&H with pink hearts burning on a bonfire, and captioned it ‘By bye marriage’.

Blimey … it never rains but it pours for Honeysuckle … :frowning_face:

A good actress imo with some high notes and low ones but needs a good personal therapist like Frazier perhaps??

Ironically she was playing Chief Superintendent Foyle’s driver in Foyle’s War. Michael Kitchen is excellent. I’ve always enjoyed his acting. As has been said, actors are not always the same as the roles they are playing. I thought Honeysuckle Weekes was also excellent in the series.

1 Like