Forgetting camera setting

It has been ages since i used my Nikon D800 camera and forgot a lot of the settings, such as reset the camera back to factory setting. As I had not used the camera for a long time I thought lets see if eveything was ok. No it wasn’t, the live view on the rear screen sometimes worked and other times didn’t when it worked the shutter release to ages to operate. Not only that but I had forgot how to reset the camera to how it was originally.
Found the answer in the manual, thank goodness I tend to keep everything, easy to reset by- switching on holding down 2 buttons at the same time and that did the trick .
Just shows how easy out of touch one can get purely through lack of use

it still takes a good picture even though the lens is not the best version

unedited

Is the shutter sticking due to not being used? I had this problem some time with a lens on my medium format camera, the iris refused to stop down because I’d left it in the fully open position. After I got it cleaned and repaired, I made sure that the lens was stopped down to f22 so that it could be made to open and close on manual when removed from the camera.

No. It looks as if it just needed a reset but I did swab clean the contacts which helped everything normal

first as normal and second via live view. definately a delay in live view. this has been sorted with the D810

| think this is nomal for this Nikon D800 model. The D300 doesn’t have live view until the shot has been taken

I bought a compact camera last year. It’s only a mid-range thing but it has a vast array of menus and options. I haven’t used it for a couple of months, and I suspect that when I next want to use it I will have forgotten how it works.

I had an interest in photography for a few years when I was in my twenties and early thirties, and had an Olympus SLR. It had automatic exposure but was very simple and easy to use, as were all cameras then.

I know which I prefer. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Welcome back :smiley:

Yes, I like photography too, but don’t know half the settings. I just point and shoot…usually at the sun.

2 Likes

But you are a natural artist, you can get away with it. Either that or your camera simply refuses to take a bad picture. :wink:

1 Like

My camera knows what side its bread is buttered :018: :smiley:

1 Like

I would be careful when shooting the sun. Apart from the risk of damaging the sensor and lenses, if you are shooting with a DLSR or a optical viewfinder, you risk damage to your eyes. Never a good idea unless you are using filters which allow for this.

All the lenses (aperture) for my Pentax SLR have seized up but I did buy it in the 1970s

JUst found out something about my Nikon D300 I have owned since 2009. I do have what is called live view I never knew about, That is seeing the picture in the screen before taking the shot. There is a setting on the top dial with a marking of LV on it,. What happens is when the shutter button is pressed part way the rear screen shows the shot. with Later Nikons the LV is a seperate button on the rear of the camera body.