Forager's Thread

Got there eventually!

Much mushing and crushing…

We set a little aside for a sample… it’d be rude not to…

And the rest is destined for the freezer!

3 Likes

Time to get some of that wild garlic butter out of the freezer to defrost. We have some two day old soda bread to use up. Garlic bread with a sprinkling of smokey green jalapeno from Borough Market and a liberal sprinkling of Maldon Salt… great with pizza this lunchtime!:+1:

1 Like

I wouldn’t want to get all premature, it’s a long time to autumn but it was a pleasure to see our favourite local crab apple tree in blossom… something to look forward to.

Apologies to all those on the forum who are well versed in the art of photography…

3 Likes

Looks promising!

My cherry trees are in full blossom and one of my fig trees has some little figs already sprouted.

3 Likes

Looking gorgeous against that blue sky… the promise of things to come!

1 Like

Well, I have mentioned this on a couple of the good morning topics but I thought this would be the ideal place to post a quick review of the new outdoor pan.

At 7inch diameter it’s just right for stowing away in the day bag for a hike or a larger rucksack when camping/fishing etc. The nonstick coating seems to be durable and as long as it’s treated with respect I’m confident it’s going to do it’s job well. The handles have a nice soft grippy rubber finish which is really useful, no need to wrap a cloth around them to avoid burning the fingers. They’ll have to be kept away from direct heat and flame of course.

I’m rather pleased with the ridged base too, not only should that aid heat distribution but it helps the pan sit more securely on the cooker, particularly if it’s a higher profile unit like the Lixada in the picture :+1:

I’m looking forward to taking it out and testing it, I’ve yet to decide what’s going to be on the menu :wink:

1 Like

Thought this might interest some it mentions a book for The first time Forager

1 Like

Thank you Eliza, I’ll shall have a sit down and read that a bit later. Today isn’t going to be a day for putting it into practice, it’s pouring down, just for a pleasant change :wink:

1 Like

Once again thanks Eliza!
That actually looks a nice little book, I’ve just checked it out on Amazon :+1:

2 Likes

Apologies to those who have already seen a couple of these pictures on today’s good morning topic.

There’s not much of the wild garlic season left, many of the flowers are beginning to turn to seed and it won’t be long before they leaves start to get bitter and rancid.
So, I thought I’d get in there while I could and prep up some more wild garlic butter for the freezer.

I’ve soaked, washed and rinsed the leaves to get rid of any nasties before patting them dry. This time I’ve added the zest of an unwaxed lemon and a teaspoon of Maldon Salt, just to make it a little more interesting.

Then comes the physical bit, mushing up the butter ( room temperature) before rolling it up into grease proof paper and bunging it in the freezer :+1:

Sorted!

I’ve done wild garlic to death…the next little project might well be water mint sorbet! :wink:

2 Likes

A little aperitif,
The wild blackberry vodka I made earlier is now quite drinkable. I’ve half filled the glass with ice, poured over a generous shot of the vodka/liqueur, topped up with ice cold lemonade and stirred. A sprig of bruised water mint foraged yesterday and a slice of lemon for good measure… cheers!

2 Likes

Okay, I did say I wouldn’t bang on about wild garlic didn’t I? :lying_face:
These little nibbles are destined for the oven immediately!
Who needs pringles?

A little sliced ciabatta roll can go a long way! :yum:

3 Likes

They look yummy , well done you .

2 Likes

They look great! Strangely enough, of all the wild herbs and plants we have around our land, I’ve never noticed any wild garlic. I looked it up and it should be present in our areas too, we’ve probably just never noticed it or not actually searched for it. It isn’t a good idea to approach the woodlands part of our property because of the “oink oinks” presence there, unless you make a lot of noise and go there with chainsaws to cut down trees which I have already had done by our tractor guy.
We do have plenty of oregano, rosemary and sage growing all over the place, and chives, thyme, in some places,like Simon & Garfunkel’song, I’ll have to put oregano instead of parsley😃, parsley refuses to grow, for sme reason, l only get a tiny, little batch and then it just disappears.

1 Like

Thank you! Sometimes wild garlic gives itself away by the smell, yes I imagine the presence of the " oink oinks" could be somewhat discouraging :wink: By the way, if the boar are a pest is there a culling programme. I was wondering if there’s any meat available, I’ve tried wild boar once, very tasty it was too! I bet your land is a haven for foraging, just the very thought of all those wild herbs :drooling_face: Do you get much in the way of fungi, I know that eating them is far more widely practised on the continent than it is over here? Truffles spring to mind but I imagine the " oink oinks" might take a dim view of you pinching their grub! :wink:

1 Like

There are mushrooms around in Autumn, but obviously you have to be careful to distinguish the toxic ones. You need to go up in the mountains to find “porcini” , which are the tastiest, of course. For the truffles, you also find these further up in the hills, but the truffle dogs are very, very expensive!
Wild asparagus in late March/April. I used to go often with my husband for our afternoon asparagus hunts.
My son brought me back a little bunch, a couple of times this Spring and I made omelettes with them.
There is a boar-hunting season but we have a real invasion in our country, you can see the videos on Youtube. They’ll never get them all.
In the last decades they have multiplied enormously, apparently more than a million, reason being because someone had the “not so intelligent” idea to import them from Eastern countries for hunting. As if we didn’t have enough of our own! Now they’re causing damage to our agriculture and have reached the cities, too. The meat is regarded as a very tender, low-fat, rich, tasty meat. “Pappardelle al cinghiale” is one of the top dishes in “top restaurants”, but to tell you the truth, I’ve gone off it, for some reason :thinking:.
If you fancy a laugh, take a look at the wild boar strolling around Rome on YouTube , sorry, I’m not good at posting links.

1 Like

Good grief! :rofl:
I had no idea, they really are a problem aren’t they? Crazy but tasty, sadly I don’t anticipate finding any wild boar in Asda, in the chiller units or deli I mean, not roaming around willy nilly😉

1 Like

Glad you enjoyed the video!
Perhaps you can try buying a jar of wild boar ragù on Amazon? :grinning:

1 Like

Oh dear!
I’ve just seen the price, I won’t be oinking out on it alas! :wink:

1 Like

I don’t blame you!
In my opinion, nothing beats good old traditional pork chops and sausages,anyway.

1 Like