Forager's Thread

Yes it was and…
at this time there is a 4th person, a man fighting for his life after having been admitted re the same incident. Police investiagations are continuing and likely to do so for some time according to reports.

1 Like

As a much younger person I had a relative who owned & operated a soft drink factory.
Strangely although that was decades ago & I now recall very little - the one thing that sticks in my mind is one of my parents telling me that of all the flavours he manufactured the ONLY one he would NOT drink was the Ginger beer.

It was not a taste issue - it seemed rather a “health” issue but I can’t imagine why?

I really wish I knew, but only out of pure curiousity.

I take it that these poisonous mushrooms had no bad taste to put them off eating them , also what springs to mind , unless ive missed part of the story , why is the cook still alive ? did she not have any …seems a tad suspicious .

@OldBloke was this what you was on about .?

They dont get sprayed in this country , But if the hedge is in a crop field thats been sprayed , then i wouldnt touch them . I mostly pick from Canal sides ,

On a more positive note how about this for foraging/fungi street art?

th-417847974

We were in Glasgow recently, there’s a mural trail, this one did it for us.

5 posts were split to a new topic: Mushroom poisoning in Australia

We’ve been blackberrying…again!

I could smell this rich, deliciously buttery smell coming from the kitchen. My son’s made another crumble incorporating rolled oats to give a really crunchy wholesome texture.

Looks a winner!

2 Likes

They’re the wierdest looking blackberries that I’ve ever seen :innocent: :innocent: :grin:

1 Like

You were saying?

And no I can’t post any complimentary samples :wink:

3 Likes

DAMN that looks tasty !!! And DAMN that there are no free samples available :innocent: :laughing: :laughing:

1 Like

Mmm that looks nice , I like mine with Custard on , some like with a scoop of Ice cream .
Now my mouths watering , I shall have the ones in the Fridge with Cream , I was saving the Cream , but i can always buy some more .

1 Like

I like mine with custard too!
Did you get out blackberry picking, I remember that you were hoping to?

yes we did , and someone had picked the ones we had seen previous , but we walked on the other side of the hedge , and came across the biggest blackberries i ever saw , but as always they were hard to reach , me with shorts on so sent son into the thick of the bramble , I allowed him to keep them … :laughing:
Need a Shepards Crook to pull the long branches down ,

2 Likes

Yes I know what you mean, the nettles can be a bit iffy too… it’s all part of the fun :wink:

1 Like

Oh my :drooling_face::drooling_face:

2 Likes

I know…all credit to my son :slightly_smiling_face:

And it’s blackberries again :+1:

The juiciest most succulent early berries have already become squidgy… best nibbled and savoured while picking the slightly firmer specimens.

Also some of the haws are already pickable, check out the creamy colour of the pith. I’m going to make a habit of routinely picking them, packing them tightly in small freezer bags all ready for batches of spicy haw ketchup.

It’ll probably cost a fortune in kilner jars :wink:

4 Likes

Is that your handmade ‘shepherd’s crook’?

1 Like

It’s a thumb stick/staff Gaia, it’s hazel and I cut it myself and let it season for a year before applying a couple of coats of light varnish.

It’s useful for pushing branches, brambles etc out of the way. I’ve never used it on sheep I hasten to add :wink:

I will be adding a ferrule to the base when I can find one I like.

2 Likes

My grandfather never went anywhere without his.(I’m not suggesting you need it and are that old :grinning:)

1 Like