Football - the only sport I can think of that get away with cancelling our usual telly programmes

Count me int on that too Jean darlin’ please.

Yes likewise …there are sports channels . dont interfere with my evening viewing with football .

[quote=“spitfire, post: 319237”]

[quote=“ben-varrey, post: 318968”]
It took years of working with children and also teaching Mups - can’t do either without being able to ‘chill’ as they say :wink:
[/QUOTE

Never realized you taught Mups BV.:-), or are you engaging in incitement.:lol::lol:[/QUOTE]

Oh blast - a grammatical error :blush:

Thank you for pointing that out spitfire - no, really, thanks :021: :lol::lol::lol:

Exactly, and my OH is one of those men who dislike football with a passion.

Don’t talk to me about football Mups, my husband is a very passionate football watcher on tv. I really enjoy my two months freedom from football in the Summer but it’s over with again now as football returns and it’s back to every weekend with the football on tv. Hubby has the Sky Sports channels you see.

Still if you love someone it has to be give and take so I have to suffer it.

I don’t see why it’s such a problem - my mum and stepfather had their own televison sets to watch when the football season started; he watched his sport and mum watched her programmes.

Doubt if my poor old Dad would have dared put on something Mum didn’t like :lol:

Seriously though, before Mum’s hands got so arthritic and her sight became poor, she used to do alot of crafts, she was good with her hands. She used to decorate eggs - goose eggs, rhea eggs, etc, she even did a couple of her tortoise eggs once, they were like the Faberge eggs. They had a little telly in Mum’s hobby room and in the evenings Dad used to watch the box while Mum lost herself in her hobby. Mum probably would have complained more if she hadn’t got her eggs to do though!

:lol: those are the households that run smoothly :wink:

My mum always had her nose in a book unless Coronation Street or Sunday Night at the London Paladium came on, then she’d watch and I doubt my Dad would have tried to watch something else either :lol:

How strange you should mention those! I worked with children for close to 25 years and I used to teach them how to decorate eggs, Faberge type ones as well but, mainly for Christmas and Easter (we’d cut a hole in the front of the egg and put Christmas cake decorations in the Christmas ones and usually little furry chicks in the Easter ones) - a lot of fun and one of the few things the kids actually looked pleased with the finished result! They are very pretty to look at.

Well fancy that! Yes I can imagine your kids would have enjoyed doing that. Mum used to put little hinged doors on the front sometimes and pop things inside, or sometimes the whole egg used to be hinged in two halves, with each half decorated inside as well as out, then people or - whatever the theme was- sitting inside. She still has some she never sold left from her craft fair days, I expect she still enjoys looking at them. :slight_smile:

It’s as bad as politics, when things go wrong, there are too many folks to spread the blame among, this don’t happen in the boxing ring, no hiding place there.

This was a reference to “Football” BTW, before we get any more misunderstandings.:-).

Your Mum sounds a bit cleverer than I ever was at them - hinged bits! Now if someone was to share a secret with someone else about how that is done :wink:

Any chance of a few photos of them?

I would if I could work out how to send photos! :confused:

I think there’s a point being missed here. Contrary to popular belief, not every person in the land has Sky TV or Virgin TV so it’s not a good argument to cite extra terrestrial channels and those that do may not necessarily have the Sports Channels, because they detest sports, or they can’t afford to pay for them.

The point I made, which nobody picked up on, was that ITV and BBC do not have to flood their main channels with sports and disrupt popular programmes watched by millions, but they have alternative sites they could use.

Football is watched by thousands. Corrie and Emmerdale etc are watched by millions. It’s not complicated to work it out.

Quite agree Mollie, what on earth is the point of ITV2, BBC3 etc, if the producers are determined to interrupt Primetime viewing on ITV or BBC, why not put the regular TV schedule on these channels, or better still put the Football on these channels.

I also agree - most of what is on these numerous channels is dross anyway so why interrupt their flagship programmes? It doesn’t make sense.

Yes, and what about Saturday night for example - Harry flippin’ Potter yet AGAIN or else Dad’s Army - again!!! They keep repeating the repeats and yet still put our licences up .:mad:

That’s one of the reasons (a small one) that I got rid of Sky - the BBC do some brilliant programmes (Merlin, The White Queen on at the moment) but it tends to be one a year, usually, the rest is so meh.

I do think the BBC should be answerable to the public who pay them for what is shown and if they’re not happy with that, then they should raise their own funds - maybe pay-per-view?