Food shortages

Anyone see on the news this evening that schools are being advised to stock pile food, otherwise there may not be enough for the kids school dinners by Christmas?

It went on to say that we should also get in plenty of tinned foods like vegetables and tinned fruit as a safeguard too.

You know what will happen now . . . . yet more panic buying will ensue, and the shelves at my local shops are half empty as it is!

Blā€¦dy media AGAIN

1 Like

Hardly any milk in Sainsburyā€™s tonight. I donā€™t think thatā€™s panic buying. They have been short of milk regularly in the last few months. Iā€™m struggling to understand what is causing this mess. Itā€™s not panic buyers that is for sure. People arenā€™t going crazy like before Covid, they are just shopping normally but there is far less stock.

I believe the same is true when it comes to fuel. There were problems with supply. There are still problems with guaranteeing constant supply and itā€™s not because of panic buyers.

Iā€™m sure lots of people already have an emergency supply of essentials after what happened last year and earlier this year.

Shall I start organising food parcels to send to Europe?

4 Likes

Cue panic buying processed foods,crisps and juice, traditional kids fare.

Itā€™s getting more than a little bit daft, this desperation to start another round of panic buying.
Where there might be shortages for one reason or another there are always other places that have what you want or there are alternatives.
Nobody here will starve, thatā€™s for certain.

No food shortages here, being born just after the war ended when we still had rationing I know how to survive, keep a well stocked larder and make a good meal out of very little.

I guess those who donā€™t bother to cook may struggle.

@Zaphod could it be a fiendish political plan to topple Boris ??
Donkeyman! :frowning::frowning:

1 Like

Who knows?
:man_shrugging:
What I DO know is that those that make their money from food arenā€™t very concerned.
A bunch of foreign investors just paid Ā£ billions for Morrisons, and they reckon another bunch of foreign investors are after buying Sainsburys so any alleged worries certainly arenā€™t bothering them.

Problem is this will affect the old and infirm who canā€™t get out and spend hours going from shop to shop trying to find affordable food.

I do lot of shopping for my elderly neighbours in our block and sometimes I have to dip into my own pocket just to get them the basics as the cheapest option has all sold out or is not available.
Iā€™ve seen how the shopping lists they give me get smaller and smaller. ( Itā€™s probably a generational pride thing as well as they always offer to pay the difference,but then that extra expense could be the difference between putting the heating on or eating ).

Itā€™s a very sad state and donā€™t get me started on the fuel crisis.

A good and thought provoking post Bev.
Makes a lot of sense. :+1:

@Bev , A good post Bev, you certainly know what your talking about, because if the projected fuel price rises take place
then my place will definitely be unheated this winter ??
I would rather eat !!
Donkeyman! :-1::frowning::-1:

Hi Donkeyman

I work in social care so I see daily how people are affected by the ā€˜ā€˜little changesā€™ā€™,
Itā€™s heartbreaking ,all it takes is a few pounds to tip some people over into debt or to make that decision should I eat or heat, and it affects not just the old.
Even I have to be careful and Iā€™m working and relatively healthy

It seems the fuel price rises have already started to trickle in.Luckily last year during lockdown I managed fixed my heating for 2 years and I managed to get the neighbours
as well as my parents to to the same,so hopefully we are ok til next year.
Hopefully the fixed prices we are paying will not change but Iā€™m sure the greedy utilities will find a opt out clause.

Get yourself some hot water bottles and a thick sleeping bag,keep your head covered as that is where most of the heat is lost, please donā€™t get cold.

1 Like

You right spot on I cook for two of my neighbours one in his 50ā€™s a single guy who although not elderly I worry about and this way I know twice a week he is eating well and is okay as due to a heart condition and high back fences and the passing of his dog I do not see him daily as I used to. The other is a couple who as not ā€œbreadlineā€ but close I think the husband has gave up driving early 2020 due to dementia and I do their shopping as she is reluctant to leave him. I add bits and pieces in saying two for one or a offer online etc which is sometimes true or sometimes its a thank you for taking in a parcel etc. I also fixed the neighbours heating for them too 2 year fix up next June.

1 Like