Food for borderline diabetic sweet tooths?

My hubby has been diagnosed borderline diabetic & I’m at a loss what to satisfy his sweet tooth with.

I don’t want to pay silly prices for diabetic chocolate etc.

The nurse suggested these skinny bars but he will want more than that.

Any help appreciated.

SKINNY BAR

3 Likes

Look no further than nature? Dates :smiley:

Summary

Dates may be an enjoyable and safe treat for many people with diabetes and prediabetes.

The fruit consists of a low GI, meaning it does not cause significant blood sugar spikes when people eat it in moderation. They also contain an array of important nutrients for those with diabetes, including fiber, magnesium, and potassium.

Thanks Azz.
I’m not sure if he likes dates but I’ll get him some & see.

2 Likes

Carol,

Tony can eat unsalted nuts e.g Walnuts, Pecans, Hazel nuts etc. or plain Popcorn, or Vegetable Batons with Humas Dip. Have plenty of Fibre and Protein.

From knowledge of friends and relatives who are diabetic. Go for natural sugars such as honey in tea or coffee is very tasty. As well pure maple syrup tea, coffee or on pancakes or french toast.

Dark chocolate has less sugars but you need to read the labels from now on for everything.

Diabetic chocolates aren’t too expensive, you’ve got to shop around but Amazon has a large choice recommended. See here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=diabetic+chocolates&crid=3NFH8EINJH5O3&sprefix=%2Caps%2C266&ref=nb_sb_ss_recent_1_0_recent

Also, check labels of juices, orange, apple, tropical, pineapple. The best for natural sweetness, Coconut Water or Coconut Milk

GUEST_8653431e-c43d-4f72-a64b-382b44f26caf

Check online and in YouTube you’ll find plenty to help yourself and your hubby. Good luck!

Mags if your hubby is carrying some extra weight
losing weight if you have pre diabetes can prevent the condition from developing into full-blown diabetes.

2 Likes

If you’re up for doing a bit of cooking,I find Totalsweet tastes just like sugar, and not expensive It’s xylitol, so you can use it in any recipes that use that

You can use it more or less like sugar and they have some good recipes on their website

Maybe make a batch of the brownies or the biscotti look good too

Found this video on YouTube that offers a variety of meals including desserts that won’t spike blood sugars. Hoping it helps!

Also you might want to check STEVIA sugar substitute if hubby not interested by honey or Maple Syrup

Cinnamon popcorn is meant to be good as a sugar-management snack - there is research on the sugar-stabilising effect of cinnamon for diabetic patients. Whilst popcorn is low-GI so good for snacking. The recipe below ingeniously sweetens using dried apple rings. The only problem I have with popcorn is that it can irritate a sensitive throat or get stuck in a tooth. I saw a thread on twitter pop up about cinnamon, garlic, fenugreek and ginger as spices that help stabilise blood sugar and this reminded me of this recipe so thought it might help.

Cinnamon - Effect on Blood Sugar, Health Benefits & Insulin Sensitivity.

Mags It might be best to reeducate his taste buds . :sunglasses:

If you buy some sugar free chocolate and sugar free peanut butter you could make him some of these. They are supposed to taste just like a Snickers bar