Flirting - right or wrong

:surprised: I always there was nothing wrong with the occasional bout of flirting coupled with gentle banter in the office. There could be an issue with professional boundaries here but it depends much on your boss. My stance has changed because I inadvertently caused a female work colleague some upset. It started because I wanted to help her with her personal divorce problems, only be a shoulder to cry on and be a good listener. Other people in the office noticed we were spending a lot of time together and mischievously convinced her that I was open to a relationship. despite knowing I was married albeit at the time having problems myself. When I explained to her what my feelings actually were she orchestrated a move to another office. This was a number of years ago, but I still beat myself up at times.

Folks who flirt before vows, fair play, folks who flirt after vows are Tosspots, no quarter here, FWIW.:-):wink:

Didn’t quite understand the hi-lighted bit David.
Why was she upset?
May I ask what your feelings actually were?
No matter if it’s too personal, just trying to understand your post. :slight_smile:

I agree!

Banter has many guises.:lol::wink:

Pepping up the ego is often misconstrued…

Flirting - right or wrong?

Too dodgy in today’s PC environment, imo.

Wrong, under most circumstances.

I think flirting means different things to women than it does to men.

Eg… If a lady says “can I have one of those” and a man replies “I’ll give you one!” I view it as a joke and would probably reply & “Thanks, but no thanks” & laugh!

On the other hand, if a man was being too complimentary about how I looked or saying how he felt about me I think I would view it as unwanted attention and try to escape!

With respect David, you can either offer a shoulder to lean on - 1.e. indicate that you are willing to offer support as a friend, or you can just take your chances and flirt. Not both. The former is a signal that you can be trusted with somebody’s feelings the latter is just game playing that may or may not be appropriate or wanted. To flirt after you have offered friendship is confusing and doesn’t inspire trust. I suspect that’s why she backed off. I’m 68 and I had a long professional career and even when I was young, I never risked flirting with anybody unless I liked them and they started it first…and I was single. These days all I can say is that I’m glad I am retired.

As long as both parties know it’s only a laugh, I see nothing to get wound up about.

1 Like

Flirting should not be taken seriously.

It is lke sunshine on a rainy day especially if your spouse /partner is a misery guts.

And,you can flrt with your eyes only,

A whole lot of flirting goes on here on OFF, intentianally or otherwise.

People that openly flrt hardly ever have affairs.

2 Likes

so do I :!:

If my spouse was a misery guts I would be with him LOL.

I’m not sure I agree that people who openly flirt hardly ever have affairs though. How do you know? Some people are very devious.

There’s the conundrum right there.

Agreed.

Good post azure. I have to hand it to you. :wink:

1 Like

I agree that it is very difficult to flirt these days what with everyone sueing each other or getting upset cos someone said a naughty word; so I have been on my best behaviour at work but I have to say the biggest culprits are the women.

Thank you ,Longdogs.

:slight_smile:

Longdogs. How right you are re; women.
When the get togeter, the things they say about men !!
Nothing is sacred.