'Flashy' NYC bishop robbed of $1m in jewellery during live sermon

Lamor Whitehead, 44, has vowed that the culprits “won’t get away with it”

In the video Mr Whitehead is heard asking “How many of you have lost your faith because you saw somebody else die?” moments before several black-clad gunmen entered the church in Brooklyn.

According to Mr Whitehead, the masked thieves escaped in a Mercedes.

Following the robbery, the New York Post reported that the items taken from him and his wife included $75,000 Rolex and Cavalier watches, a $25,000 Episcopal ruby and diamond ring and a $25,000 pair of earrings - and even his wedding band.

This incident, however, prompted a torrent of criticism on social media about his luxurious tastes and opulent lifestyle.

“It’s not about me being flashy,” Mr Whitehead said. “It’s about me purchasing what I want to purchase.”

Presumably “believers” are funding his purchases … :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Perhaps they are trying to buy a stairway to heaven.And if the stores are all closed…

Religion,politics,they are both swindles.Have you seen the opulence in the Vatican or the Savile Row suits on the leaders of poor countries ?

Fairly sure that isn’t really what God intended :thinking:

1 Like

Whilst I’d never condone armed robbery, it does sound like a bit of “what goes round, comes round”

I checked out this “Bishop” - I couldn’t work out how he became ordained but I did discover that he was heading up a religious organisation I’ve never heard of “Tomorrow International Ministries” and is thought to make a lot of money from it - his wife apparently heads up charities which champion women but is reported to earn money from related workshops, seminars and spiritual development events. :thinking:
Two of the “Bishop’s” other businesses are a real estate firm and a lending company. :thinking:
Apparently, he took up being a Bishop about 10 years ago, after he was freed from prison. His prison sentence was for stealing $2 million and using someone else’s identity. :thinking:

It all sounds a bit suss to me.

Reading about him reminded me of that Bible story of Jesus “cleansing the temple” of all the charlatan religious bods who were in there, busy wheeling and dealing for profit.

Maybe those robbers have done the bishop a favour.
Indeed It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.

One dodgy sounding character to me. I’m not one to normally gloat, but, This smacks of poetic justice. Talk about living a pious, devout life.

Hypocrisy at its best.
I am sure he is well insured.

Anybody can become a Bishop, Many years ago I bought a certificate ordaining me as a Minister is some weirdo Yankee religious organisation. It was apparently registered as a charity and a religious organisation and part of its fund raising was ordaining Ministers. I used to have a very nice certificate proving the fact (I might still have it somewhere.) I think it cost me $5 or $10.

You can also become Pastafarians and it costs even less.

https://www.spaghettimonster.org/join/

I think I still have a Doctorate in Psychology somewhere too.

My mistake - I don’t have a doctorate it’s a mere Bachelor of Arts in Psychology. I suspect a doctorate cost more.

I’m afraid it has suffered somewhat from being in the garage for many decades. My ordination and degree were part of a bet in the late 1970s, again from memory both certificates cost me less than $50 and I won $100.

BTW you could get any date entered, I chose that one because I was in London at the time. I am sure my ordination certificate is somewhere and equally as impressive.

Anyway the point is you can get a certificate for just about anything, no doubt the Bishop got his a similar way.