Fixations and Obsessions

Don’t know about you but I know that sometimes I get a bit fixated on things, which can last for different periods/lengths of time.

Sometimes these could be viewed as healthy, as they don’t really do any harm and might be seen as a hobby.

Sometimes, they become somewhat less healthy.

So, the question is,…what is the difference between a healthy and unhealthy obsession? And have you ever had one/both types throughout your life?

1 Like

Obsession is defined as:

Given that obsession is something disturbing, it’s difficult to consider any obsession healthy. If people are preoccupied with something healthy or enjoyable, they usually call it passion.

Beyond that, the difference between a healthy passion and an unhealthy obsession is generally cultural. I read a book by an author who was a psychologist. He considered golf healthy and video games unhealthy. No reason given.

The stigma of video games being unhealthy largely changed when people started making lots of money from them. They can also be sources of exercise, even outdoors.

1 Like

I think if something occupies your thoughts when you aren’t doing it, and when you are doing it, it takes over your life to the exclusion of everything else, then its unhealthy.

If you can stop it and turn your attention to something else and fully focus on whatever the “non-fixation” is, it’s ok.

2 Likes

Hi

Many ladies of a certain age seem to have an obsessive fixation with Martin Shaw.

2 Likes

A man needs a hobby …

2 Likes

I once had an obsession with Trebor Extra Strong Mints and could eat three packs, one after the other at a time! It’s a wonder, my teeth didn’t drop out!

It did coincide with, when my marriage was in a bad state and maybe, l needed some sort of comfort at the time?

That was about 20 years ago and l have never eaten one since!!

3 Likes

Thinking about this… if it’s something that is light and fleeting, that is fine.
…but… if it takes over your brain, makes you hate…then that is dreadfully unhealthy and you need to let it go.

I read once, if you have an obsession, you must only allow yourself to think about it for so many minutes in a day.
It’s when, it takes over your mind, eats away at you that it becomes dangerous.

1 Like

Short term obsessions can be productive on several levels IMHO, but normally when these involve tasks or objects and not people.

There must be many, many types of obsession though.

Some people become obsessed with a hobby and it takes over.
Others might be obsessed with gambling and get into debt.
Others might obsess about a member of the opposite sex, or cleaning their house, booze, drugs, or sex - or a hundred other things.

I think if anyone recognises it, and will admit to themself they have a potentially serious problem, they are half way there to dealing with it.
Its those in self denial that will get worse.

Having said that, there are probably just as many fun, harmless ‘obsessions’ that you don’t need to worry about at all. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Obsessions can be an escape mechanism.

If your mind is whirring, overloaded, grieving or too busy, concentrating on one thing you’re obsessed with to the exclusion of everything can give some relief

That’s why hobbies are relaxing

But it becomes negative if the escapism means you don’t deal with with your issues, neglect your social life and personal relationships, spend a disproportionate amount of money and time on it or it’s damaging your health

Or if your obsession is with something that you have no right to be obsessed with, other people’s lives for instance, or a sexual obsession leading to stalking

If it’s winding you up to being angry or hating all the time, or making you anxious and obsessive about your health, or leading to criminal behaviour, that’s not good either

Obsession are a very common sign of autism, and we’re all on that spectrum to some degree!

1 Like