Five Tombs Discovered in Egypt’s Saqqara Necropolis

Five Tombs Discovered in Egypt’s Saqqara Necropolis - Archaeology Magazine)%20periods.

CAIRO, EGYPT—Ahram Online reports that five tombs have been discovered in the Saqqara necropolis by a team of Egyptian researchers. The tombs, located on the northeastern side of the King Merenre pyramid, have been dated to the Old Kingdom (2649–2150 B.C.) and First Intermediate (2150–2030 B.C.) periods. Powerful officials were buried in the tombs, according to Mostafa Waziri of the Supreme Council of Antiquities. The first tomb, he explained, consists of a deep burial shaft and a chamber decorated with scenes of offering tables, sacred oils, and an image of the palace. This tomb contained a limestone sarcophagus. The second tomb is thought to have belonged to the wife of a man named Yaret, while the third belonged to Pepi Nefhany, who held positions as supervisor of the great house, priest, and purifier of the house. A woman named Petty, who was a priest of Hathor, was buried in the fourth tomb, and Henu, an overseer and supervisor of the royal house, was buried in the fifth tomb. The team will continue to excavate and study the well-preserved tombs.

Fascinating … :open_mouth:

2 Likes

I love to hear this .

1 Like

Me too. Strange how the older i get the more interested I become with things about the past. Sort of like I’ve run out of things to reminisce about during my own lifetime, so need to go further back in time.

Thanks for posting it Omah.

Another fantastic find at Saqarra, some of those tombs in Egypt absolutely defy your understanding, not just how they were cut out of rock to such accuracy, but the decoration is breathtaking. What a culture and what skills from such a “primitive” people…

1 Like

I am amazed at the high intelligence of these people , they knew so much and I wonder if we have gone backwards in time rather than evolved

2 Likes

Thanks Omah, truly fascinating.

Another superb find!