Five Technology Traps

I’m afraid the author has lost me as early as in the introduction. Hardly any of the author’s examples to support his theses applies to me. I’ve never been able to awaken at a target time, only read that natives - allegedly - used to have that skill. If so, it very likely would be an approximate time and they wouldn’t have to catch a specific bus or tram. Does every human really need photographic skills comparable to, and as reliable as a camera? The only example i’d agree to is that cooking skills may get underdeveloped due to convenience food.

The use of electronic calculators has always been a lifeline for me and has, in fact, lessened the negative attitude I’d always had towards maths. Why would people need to understand how certain gadgets that they use every day actually work? I don’t feel my psychological health is damaged in any way. I even don’t know what that is supposed to be. What he has to say about the tension between technology and the environment remains to be seen.

I wonder what your take on the book is? Have you read it?

2 Likes

I think I agreed with Dachshund here, and I found the authors blurb mildly irritating

I can’t relate to technophobes, I love technology and think it’s added to our skills creativity, hopes and dreams. I think the world and the lives of millions are better for it

Alarm clocks, really? The only way I know to self wake reliably is to drink a glass of water before bedtime , then you wake up because you need a wee! Think I’ll stick with my phone alarm :rofl:

Good comments, have not read the book. Only opining on problems for young children overusing digital devices .