Five children die in bouncy castle tragedy

This is such a terrible, heart breaking tragedy. I cannot begin to imagine the terror those poor children must have felt. I wish I could stop picturing it in my head :cry:

Very sad…:frowning:
But just 10m…?

1 Like

This is not the first time such inflated plastic fun items have caused child deaths. Since it happened in England, strict new regulations have to be observed such as very secure tethering and wind speed monitoring etc.

1 Like

According to what I can find the wind picked it up and I guess the children fell off and to the ground from around 32 feet up. I thought most of those had zip up central compartments where all the balls go. Makes me wonder how they fell out.

What do you mean by ‘just’ 10m? That’s 32’, more than high enough to cause significant injury in a fall.

1 Like

Yes, certainly injury. It’s terribly sad and I don’t think anybody disputes that. It’s the fatalities that surprise me at that distance.

Well I guess 32’ doesn’t seem much when measured out at ground level, but it is around 1.5 times the height of the average 2 storey house. Maybe the children fell onto hard ground? I would think that would be enough to cause fatalities from head trauma, broken neck etc. I don’t even want to think about it to be honest, it’s just too upsetting :cry:

1 Like

There was a single child fatality in Gorleston a few years ago, in a similar incident. It might have been before I moved here.

That is such terrible news.

1 Like

Yes I remember that too … Gorleston bouncy castle death: Town in shock after young girl killed | Eastern Daily Press (edp24.co.uk)

I remember that incident too Jazzi, desperately sad.

These things are dangerous, there’s no two ways about it. Many years ago I was at an indoor student event, which had a bouncy castle as part of the ‘fun’. My son, then in his early 20s, was on it along with several others around his age. He did a somersault and landed heavily on what should have been the fully inflated perimeter of the thing. Instead, unknown to him or anyone else for that matter, it had been slowly deflating, and he actually landed hard on his back with nothing but two layers of rubber/latex or whatever it is between him and the hard floor. Some years later he developed severe back problems, leading to painful surgery, and I’ve often wondered if it was that bouncy castle that triggered the problem.

Yes, maybe about 25 feet. And I agree with it could be hard ground or even concrete. And whoever elected the bouncy castle should have been strung up!

So sad something sad always happens at Christmas

1 Like

Also I think a lot depends on how they landed - panicking children are not going to know how to protect themselves for impact.

1 Like

A fall from a horse ( about six feet ) at even average speed hurts and can cause death or serious injury . The force of being flung violently from 32 ft to be seems to me a miracle some children did survive .

3 Likes

Thanks for the link, LD. That was a year before I moved up here.

1 Like

No, 32’ not 25’. All the news outlets have reported it as 32’. 10 metres = 32.8 feet.

I know that and I never disputed it. I know what 32 feet is. And what 10 metres is.

what a horrible and freaky accident for those poor children. The families must be devastated, it just doesn’t seem real, no one would in a million years think that would happen to anyone.

Sorry @Besoeker, I was replying to your post where you said “Yes, maybe about 25 feet.”. I’ve obviously misunderstood that comment :thinking:

No problem. A terribly sad event whatever the circumstances.

2 Likes