Fitness to drive: 'People should plan retirement from driving'

The BBC Freedom of Information request found that, in 2022, 48,754 notifications were submitted to the DVLA with concerns over a person’s fitness to drive - up 82% from 26,716 in 2021. During the first three months of 2023, the agency received 11,548. These numbers include self-declarations, those by medical officials and third-party notifications.

Department for Transport (DfT) data shows increased casualty rates for both older and younger drivers. Older drivers, defined as those aged 70 and over, made up 21% of car driver fatalities in 2021. Younger drivers, aged 17-24, made up 16%.

DVLA data shows, as of 13 May, there were 6,023,173 people aged 70 and over who hold full driving licences in Great Britain.

In 2017, the number aged 90 and over topped 100,000 for the first time. As of May, the figure is 139,673.

Caroline Abrahams, charity director of Age UK said: “Most of us will get to the point where actually it is time for us to hang up the keys. But judging that is quite hard. Many older people value their bus pass. But of course it’s only any good if there’s a bus to take”. In February, BBC analysis of DfT data suggested Britain’s local bus network shrank by an estimated 14%.

Charles Musselwhite, associate professor of gerontology at Swansea University’s Centre for Innovative Ageing, published a paper that found older drivers are not more dangerous. He said they are over represented in collision data due to frailty. But he said it was “probably a good idea” to introduce “a driving test or some kind of cognitive test or a medical test”.

Professor Musselwhite said those who planned their retirement from driving were able to hang up their keys more successfully. “They’ve got friends and family and neighbours sometimes to help them do the driving,” he said. “But those who left it far too late are at risk of feeling very isolated, really not being able to fulfil their lives through the journeys that they’d once done.”

Becky Guy, road safety manager for the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, added: “The first thing that anyone should do if they’re concerned about their driving for a medical reason is visit their GP straight away.” She said “simple assessments” can help drivers find areas where they can improve, while driving mobility centres can “advise on how people can continue to drive safely, perhaps with adaptations to their vehicle”.

A DfT spokesperson said: “All drivers are already required to ensure they are medically fit to drive, and all car drivers over 70 must renew their licence every three years. We have no plans to change the requirements for older drivers.”

Several years ago, having seen the “antics” of several over-60’s drivers and concerned that I might not be aware of my own bad “habits”, I took the opportunity to arrange a free 3-hour driving proficiency course for over-60’s with my local county council. The first 2 hours was the “test” and the remaining hour, 3 months later, was a follow-up to see if any recommendations had been taken on board. Luckily, I “passed”, collecting only a couple of criticisms to address.

The process was easy to arrange, using my own car, in a location of my own choosing and seemed an excellent means of obtaining an objective view of my driving ability. I would have been happy to repeat it regularly but, owing to cost and COVID, the course had been discontinued.

Contact the organisation where I have been an advanced driver member for longer that I care to admit. IAM Roadsmart will set you straight and coach you if necessary.
IAM RoadSmart | UK Road Safety Charity | Advanced Driver & Rider Courses

1 Like

For £65.

I don’t think the figures tell us the full story Omah. I know several people who are over 70 and hold a full driving licence but never drive, they are reluctant not to renew. I notice the figures mention ‘fatalities’ in the number of accidents by over 70’s but some of these ‘Fatalities’ could have been a heart attack or similar at the wheel as an over 70 would more than likely have some medical issue. I’m not suggesting that it makes it alright to drive though…

Just like an airline pilot who has to fly a certain amount of hours each year to keep his licence to fly, then similarly, a driver should have to put in so many hours of driving each year in order to keep his/her licence. I’ll leave the logistics of calculating and policing that to someone else.
I have personally found that since I stopped being a courier the roads seem to have got more busy and everyone is hurrying around to get somewhere.

Without a second thought I would enter the biggest cities and towns in the UK and arrive at my destination, even without the help of a satnav…Although I still relish the thought of driving through Sheffield or Leeds, I don’t feel as confident as I did in those courier days. ‘If you don’t use it, you lose it’ and I believe that someone who is over 70 and has not driven for say one year, would not be as sharp and confident as they should be and can become a menace on the roads, especially motorways.

My niggling thought would be that is this the thin end of the wedge to get people off the roads, starting with the older folks? Because we all know how figures can be manipulated…
:nerd_face:

3 Likes

Indeed, the professor makes that point:

More here:

The most accident-prone age group, by a substantial margin, is young men. Indeed, 17 to 21 year-olds are three to four times more likely to have an accident than 70 year-olds.

Older and younger drivers are also involved in different types of accident. While young men are more likely to be involved in single vehicle incidents, usually caused by speeding and losing control, older people tend to have smaller impact collisions.

Older women are more likely to have small accidents when doing tight manoeuvres. Older people are also more likely to be involved in accidents involving other older drivers, suggesting they make similar errors.

However, Prof Musselwhite said that older drivers compensate for their declining powers by driving more carefully, slowing down, leaving larger gaps (1), and choosing better weather and quieter times to go out in the car.

(1) One of the phrases I remember from my course is “tyres and tarmac” - that’s what should be visible in front of the driven car, even in queued traffic … and plenty of tarmac.

I quite agree - I’m one of those. I hardly drove at all during the pandemic and found driving afterwards “challenging”.

That’s why I favour free appraisals for older drivers - under-confidence can be as dangerous as over-confidence and both need to be identified and addressed.

The starting point of the article, though, is that notifications of unfitness to drive (declarations from self, medical officials and third-parties) have increased dramatically. Quite why is not explained but, obviously concerns must have been expressed from several quarters … :thinking:

1 Like

I’ve looked at statistics and read articles saying drivers over 70 are less likely to cause accidents than younger drivers but that could be because we’re not on the roads as much. See the bottom of the page linked to under the heading: What Age Group Has The Most Accidents? It pretty much reflects other pages on the subject that can be found on the Internet here and there …but always debateable even so.

My Car Heaven

It does say that older people are much more likely to die if involved in an accident. Maybe that’s because older bodies don’t heal/recover from injuries so easily.

I’m still confident enough driving around the local roads but don’t much fancy facing the cut and thrust driving that exists on motorways now.

I think we tend to worry about our family members and friends who are ‘getting on a bit’ and it is sometimes quite frightening to be sat at the side of them when they drive, and failing sight is also a worry…I hope my passengers feel safe with me Omah, otherwise I make make up part of those statistics…
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Mrs mart is a very nervous traveller. She sits behind me in her powerchair. Wheelcair-bound for the last 32 years because a young driver hit her while she on a Pedestrian Crossing. Probably more nervous for that reason.

She does a sharp intake of breath if the least little thing seems risky. This isn’t too often. I guess if the intakes were to get too frequent, it might be an indicator that I’m not the driver I once was. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

There was a very funny programme some time back on TV called 100 year old drivers .
None of them had ever taken a driving test .
They went out with a driving instructor to see how they got gone.

They came back white and trembling - the instructors that is !

This is a major problem with many of today’s younger drivers, not enough road space between the driven car and the vehicle in front. Also they tend to drive with the car in front as their mental focus instead of five cars in front and then wonder why they have difficulty stopping if something ahead happens.

My dad drove for 3 to 4 years without a drivers license. It was suspended but he didn’t care. He drove anyway.

1 Like

My dad never sat a driving test, he drove troops during the war and was a bus driver afterwards untill he retired. He hung up his keys when he reached 80, but he had me or one of my sisters to chauffeur when needed, otherwise it was the bus pass.

We live in central London, having thought about old age getting around options, we have decided not to escape to the country. Bus, tube & a pair of legs is all that’s required.

My Dad never took a driving test. He only had one eye as well (one went milky). He drove for miles up and down the country with his occupation. Only one accident during all his years of driving. This was probably due to only having one eye.

He gave up driving when he moved to Bow (in London) late in life. Free public transport and easier than using a car to get about.