Fishing boat flotilla arrived in Westminster yesterday

I’m rather surprised that no-one seems to have picked up on this news item before me. Of course, it wasn’t carried by the BBC or Sky News channels although ITV News did carry the item as did several newspaper and media outlets including the DE, Morning Star on-line (surprised this is still in publication!!), Yorkshirebylines, The Independent, and Greenpeace (they were part of it). The story is all about the seeming lack of our Government’s action over the EU’s supertrawlers and fly shooters - AGAIN!

Links to this story are:

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2021-09-22/fishers-sail-to-parliament-to-protest-super-trawlers-threatening-livelihoods

1 Like

Good pictures poor Fishermen they always seem to come of worse .

1 Like

They should take a leaf out of French fishermens book

From 12 thousand fishermen the protest was one Greenpeace tub, a few fishing boats and a few dinghies from what I could make out on the video’s.
That’s not much of a protest.

@Muddy and @Caveman2 are both right but IMHO as an industry they’re hardly going to do much to encourage change without quite a bit more in the way of protest and support than that.
Where were the rest of their fellow fishermen?

1 Like

@Percy_Vere , Wow, l wondered when our fishermen would start protesting
again Percy, thanks for picking up on it !! If it were me l would have been
screaming long ago !!
It seems to me there has been a conspiracy of silence by both the MSM And
also the more commercial side of the fishing industry who have no interest
in changing the status quo as they have become intertwined with the large
Dutch and other EU fishing companies !! Unfortunately these larger “British”
companies seem to have a strangle hold in the governing bodies of Britain’s
fishermen?? Hence no negative news such as you have just revealed ever
gets released
I willnbet you £1 to a pinch of shyte we hear little more of this armada ??
Donkeyman! :-1::weary::weary::-1:

@Zaphod , l agree !! But l have indicated why this is so to Percy ?
Our fishermen are being undermined by their own associations as well as
by our pacifist government !! :-1::-1:
Donkeyman! :frowning::frowning:

You’re quite possibly right, but their own apathy ceratinly isn’t going to help them.
If the Thames had been choc-a-bloc with hundreds of fishing boats they might have stood a chance but the poor display I saw in those videos isn’t going to do much.
Like @Caveman2 says: if they protested like the French fishermen have been doing …

2 Likes

Yes, I quite agree, it was a pathetic excuse for a protest and, as you and Caveman rightly say, it would have been an entirely different state of affairs IF the whole of the Thames outside Parliament had been blocked up with boat traffic.

Cool photos. I don’t involve myself in our politics, let alone yours but I do know that our local fishermen are in battle with native fishermen. A lot of angry fisher people.

I can see more and more of this sort of battling globally as the world’s natural resources dwindle and/or shift.

1 Like

And / or humanity becomes greedier if that’s even possible.

1 Like

Hi

Simple,Boris lied about his Brexit Deal, to our fishermen.,no different to other aspects of Brexit.

He also made huge promises about the NI Protocol which he is now desperately trying to change.

He also said we were ready for Brexit, the EU slapped controls on our exports to the EU immediately, we have not yet done the same, handing a huge advantage to EU Companies.